• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a Sound Card Worth it/which one to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnubisOne

I'm looking into getting a sound card, but I wanted to get some input on 1) whether it will be worth the investment and 2) which one to get.

I've never used a sound card before. I have always just used the on-board audio, but I have read around that music, games, and movies sound better through a sound card.
If anyone can give some input as to whether they think its worth the money and name some budget (<= $100) sound cards to look at that would be great.

Thanks

kilipsch promedia 2.1 when in my room and no headset yet (looking at getting a logitech g430). When i have the computer in the living room i have it set up to a denon receiver and 5.1 surround.

An alc1150 based on onboard solution should be fine really. Unless you have high end speakers or cans, you likely won't notice the diffefence between it and a high end (and costly) discrete card.

A sound card is really only for headphones or recording stuff. For speakers, you'll be much better off with a digital amplifier which works every bit as well from onboard.

Waste of money. You won't hear the difference on the speakers and the G430 you mentioned uses USB.

I just run an optical toslink from my motherboard's I/O panel to my Yamaha receiver. Sounds great! I let the receiver's DACs handle the signal.

I just run an optical toslink from my motherboard's I/O panel to my Yamaha receiver. Sounds great! I let the receiver's DACs handle the signal.
To elaborate on that, the "DAC" in a digital receiver isn't really a DAC in the conventional sense. Instead, it's split up into the modulator and output filter, with the output stage in the middle. It is also noted that any analog inputs it has have to be digitized to drive the modulator, so the digital inputs are always the best quality.

Back