• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cable modem & Gigabit router combo docsis 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

Going to have TWC as my internet provider. I don't want to pay modem renting fee. Want to buy my own but also want it to be a modem and wireless router combo. I also would have to get one with 4 gigabit Ethernet ports for my desktops. Any one know of any good models that would fit my needs and be docsis 3.0...
Thanks for any advise

Yes, Wireless N, 4 gigabit Ethernet ports, and docsis 3.0 cable modem is what I'm looking for...

The Motorola modem that Atminside is pretty much the best you can get. However, TWC has moved to a newer DOCSIS 3.0 standard and that modem will not be capable of the 300Mbps download speeds of the higher tier internet packages. It will only be capable of 100Mbps max on TWC.

You will need to get the 6183 instead to support 300Mbps on TWC.

Even if you only plan on 100Mbps for now, it's best to be somewhat future proof and get a model capable of higher speeds.

As far as what router to get, I'll let someone else chime in on that, but I've had great experience with the latest Asus routers, though they are expensive.

Router should be fine, Netgear stuff is pretty good.

I would look for dual band though, personally. A lot more devices are using it these days.

Ok, thanks. Maybe I will. I prefer using Ethernet but I'll have a max of 3 wireless devices that could be hinting the wireless part of the network.

Ok, thanks. Maybe I will. I prefer using Ethernet but I'll have a max of 3 wireless devices that could be hinting the wireless part of the network.

I prefer Ethernet as well, but for the minimal amount of money these days to add 5GHz to the router you'd might as well do it for future compatibility.

True true, I might as well look for one with a 5GHz band then... wait for a sale :)

Back