• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 GB Installed , 3.97 usable only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vukasin

Hi guys , today i got another 1x4 hyper black 1866 mhz ram stick , i put it into dual channel with one i had before ( same stick , all same ) , and it says 8gb installed , everything goes fine , beep at boot , all , but in windows only 3.97 is usable . I checked msconfig , unchecked memory limit , i reseted bios , got battery out and in again , mobo bios is up to date , all is perfectly fine , just it doesnt want to use it , i changed 2 windows , and on every its the same . I have no idea where the problem can be now . Please help ASAP im so mad at this thing...

- - - Updated - - -

its all 64 bit windows'es , of course , forgot to say

Please post a screenshot of your system properties page from within Windows.

Screenshot_1.png its brand new win installed , had pro and ultimate installed hour ago but same prob on every each of them . Thanks for fast reply

- - - Updated - - -

And yes , they are both into dual channel on mobo ( i looked into user manual for mobo ) , i got 2 dual channels and when i changed it , same happens. I tried absolutely everything...

Mobo is 970A DS3P , ram is hyper x fury black 1866 mhz 2x4gb

- - - Updated - - -

Latest bios installed , in bios i see whole 8gb installed , even boot beep is fine , absolutely everything...

- - - Updated - - -

Is it worth of a try if i reinstall the cpu ?

Which slot numbers are the DIMMs in?
Reseating the CPU wouldn't be a bad idea, but I doubt it'll help since you see it in the BIOS.

What's the RAM model number? What you said comes up with multiple kits for me.

Have you tested the RAM in another computer?

11155013_465369160305167_5956241698674879757_o.jpg , i didnt test ram but older one worked perfect , and this one new i got right from the shop , just bought it today , brand new...

Did you try the new stick by itself?

You're using both of the light grey slots, correct?

Kingston ram....

Try running the ram in single channel mode (i.e. ram in adjacent slots) and report back.

Also, kingston is highly incompatible with AMD, lower the ram speed the next notch down.

I was using it correctly , when i insert just the new one it wont boot , but wont even beep , all fans spin good just cpu fan spins slowly , when i insert old one its working . So , the new ram stick is bad? And if its fail , how does it recognize as 4gb ram ? I mean , it recognizes it , it must be somehow good?

I was using it correctly , when i insert just the new one it wont boot , but wont even beep , all fans spin good just cpu fan spins slowly , when i insert old one its working . So , the new ram stick is bad? And if its fail , how does it recognize as 4gb ram ? I mean , it recognizes it , it must be somehow good?

Again TEST THE NEW RAM STICK BY ITSELF. We're trying to determine if it is good or not.

I cant test cuz when i put it nothing happens , pc is like dead , i cant even get to bios or anything , black screen

Nah , i ran the ramtest when they both were in , when they are both in it works but just 4gb usable , when i put only new one it doesnt boot.

How dissapointing this is...

This happens when building custom computers. Dead parts don't happen TOO often, but it does happen.
Not a big deal. You take it back to the store, swap it for another one, and go home.

Back