• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a dual socket LGA 1366 board that can be overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know. GPU FAH doesn't need 16x speed and it's got room for 4xGTX 970s :muahaha:

Dirt cheap server!!

Got a case for it yet?
Yeah I've got my CM 810 full tower that my Asus Commando is in. I'll move it over to a spare mid tower I have.

Last edited:
dual s1366 is so dirt cheap nowadays, especially with hexcore CPUs that are sub $60. Pretty much every esxi build I do nowadays is dual s1366

On ebay the going rate for the top X5690 hexacore 3.46GHz is ~$200 ea. I'll eventually get a pair, but not until I build up the full RAM banks and some other system refinements such as SSD drives, etc. The BIOS has gobs of stuff I don't even know what it does. I'll be Googling a lot on a near by laptop to see what to set things up in the BIOS.

I have a shopping cart at Newegg for the base Haswell dual socket system (mobo, 2xCPU, Memory and it comes to ~$2.7k :eek:

Again, X5660. Under half the price per each and you'll still get the same OC...

2.8 GHz is what I'll end up with as Supermicro server boards don't overclock. 3.46GHz or bust! :D

The last SM board they wrote for was a LGA 775/771. Overclocking is fun, but if you pick out good components, you can still have a badass system when you're done.

On ebay the going rate for the top X5690 hexacore 3.46GHz is ~$200 ea. I'll eventually get a pair, but not until I build up the full RAM banks and some other system refinements such as SSD drives, etc. The BIOS has gobs of stuff I don't even know what it does. I'll be Googling a lot on a near by laptop to see what to set things up in the BIOS.

I have a shopping cart at Newegg for the base Haswell dual socket system (mobo, 2xCPU, Memory and it comes to ~$2.7k :eek:

I'd be surprised if 2x L5640 @ $60 didn't give you what you need for now. And yes, I realize it's an overlockers forum.

I got two E5620 @2.4GHz quad core for only $20 ea. I'm getting in cheap and then I slowly upgrade various parts until it's all top drawer.

It seems as though an E5649, X5650, X5660, X5670, or X5675 would suit your needs just fine. They're all a good deal cheaper than the $200 X5690's you're looking at.

Why must you go absolute top-end?

'In for a penny, in for a pound' $400 isn't that expensive compared to the eventual system cost.

I'd say it's a lot for equipment that's over 4 years old. A 5820K w/ mobo could be had for the price of the two X5690's and the mobo you got.
And it'd be faster... And you'd be able to OC. And USB 3.0. And SATA 3. And PCIe 3.0.

How much memory will it hold? Mine can do up to 192GB if needed.

I can also install a couple of add on PCIe cards for the rest of the latest connectivity features.

64GB is the official spec, but I think some boards will do 128GB.
Would you ever have any need of that much? You only have 8GB now.

VMs give you multiple servers within a server all running at once. They all need their own memory resources that add up. I also wanted ECC memory for better long term data integrity.

Anyway I looked up the specs for that 5820K and although it is very reasonable it's still about the same price of the two X5690 chips I'm eventually getting. Also by the time I can get them, the price will be lower. The 5820K can only address 64GB of memory. Maybe the Xeon equivalent might do more, but the processor and board will be more expensive.

I wanted to do a dual socket build and get the most bang for the buck. I think by getting older tech that is still relevant by today's system performance standards is the best way to achieve my goals.

Last edited:
Back