• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790K Overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyNumb3r13

Registered
Hey guys i just recently switched from an amd fx-8320 to an intel i7-4970k. Now my problem is the temps go higher than expected when under load. I've tried re applying thermal paste and still get the same results. Everything is set to stock in the bios and whenever i run the fft selection in prime 95 the cpu jumps to 100C in less than 5 seconds. Is this normal? running cinebench it goes to 65-70. Im using the H100 i would of thought thats better than the stock fan they provide. Is something wrong here?

Sounds like something simple. You made sure that the CPU is seated correctly to the H100i, so are you sure the fans are running? (I know it sounds too simple).

CPU even on stock cooler shouldn't go above 90*C when it's not overvolted. I would check cooler or maybe BIOS options. Maybe board is setting too high voltage or something. It sometimes happens when all is at auto.

the base for the mount that goes under the board can be put on incorrectly and there is only one way that it should be placed. there are 2 notches in that base that should be positioned to outline the 2 screws that hold the hold-down. if not positioned there, temps can go up quite a bit. I recently had a bad h100i, got it replaced and temps are now back to decent- they will go to high 60's during an Intel XTU run at 4.5ghz and 1.2 volts to the core

What version of Prime95?

Sounds like something simple. You made sure that the CPU is seated correctly to the H100i, so are you sure the fans are running? (I know it sounds too simple).

the base for the mount that goes under the board can be put on incorrectly and there is only one way that it should be placed. there are 2 notches in that base that should be positioned to outline the 2 screws that hold the hold-down. if not positioned there, temps can go up quite a bit. I recently had a bad h100i, got it replaced and temps are now back to decent- they will go to high 60's during an Intel XTU run at 4.5ghz and 1.2 volts to the core

Cooler isn't mounted properly (assuming you put thermal paste in between of course).

fans are running and the cooler is in place.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE****
Came home from work today and ran Prime 95 FFT and temps are staying in the high 60-70's range. Don't know what happened but now it seems to be fine with a max voltage of 1.264.

I did notice yesterday that my board jumped up the voltage to the 1.3's.

Glad I read this post, I just checked my mounting bracket and low and behold I have it upside down. See what happens when you read, you learn something. Lol.

This is normal I'm afraid. I just went to that cpu from a 2600K and starting to bench it for fun and the temps were eye-opening. I have the ASUS TUF motherboard with a custom 240mm EK Supreme watercooling loop (just for the CPU). It sits in a CM Stryker case with tons of fans. At idle, I'm in the mid 20s C to 32C. In most games so far, nothing past mid 40s.

I rebuilt my old machine for my wife's business (ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, 2600K, 16GB GSkill, 750 Ti GPU, WD 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Corsair TX650) and it is sitting right next to me. It is air cooled using the CM Hiper212. So I ran the latest version of AIDA64 on both machines to see comparable numbers and decided to try out the GPGPU benchmark. Good numbers from the Haswell proc but as it was completing the last 4 tasks, the temps went way up, upper 70s to 84C. Holy crap. So I ran the same test on my old machine and the temps never got past the mid 60s and that was on just one core. The other 3 cores were in the mid to upper 50s. I know my new machine has a good seal with the cooler because the EK Supremes pretty make it foolproof with the way you screw down the block. There is no wiggle room like with the air cooler on the other machine. Keep in mind, idle temps are really low and under game load, never above mid 40s so I doubt it's a seating issue.

I then ran the stability test and again the temp difference was 15C. Both machines are auto-overclocking. The Haswell chip is overclocking to a modest 4.4GHz and the 2600K is running at a 26% overclock to 4.3GHz. I'm not sure if this will occur while playing a game but it is concerning since I Googled the heat issues of the Haswells and most have seen this. My perspective is rather unique since I have both CPUs running side-by-side. Had motherboards been as robust and feature-rich in the P8P67 boards as they are on the Z97s, I would have stayed with the 2600K just because I had no heat issues with it even running the CPU at nearly 1.5vcore for 4 years.

Remember that you're about 10% faster per clock over the Sandy Bridge already. So 4GHz on the 4790K is roughly equal to the 2600K at 4.4GHz.
Also, from what I've seen, the auto OC is pretty crap on all Haswell. Do it manually.

I guess I need to read up the Haswell a bit more than I wanted right now. I was going to eventually manual OC but just wanted to do a baseline with the build. I still have the jumper set to prevent vcore from going way up (I have no idea what that jumper really prevents because the documentation sucks when it comes to the jumper). The mobo is the ASUS Sabertooth Mark S.

I really need to update my sig. It's older than many of the members on this forum:) There, done.

Last edited:
You should be able to set 1.25V and 4.5GHz and be pretty spot-on for an OC.

Yes, I don't change anything except for CPU Multi, vCore, and set XMP for memory unless I'm benchmarking.

with my 4790K 4.5-4.6 is all I need 99% of the time, the only time I "need" to go higher is flight sim X, it's all about the cpu.

Well I made the suggested changes and reran a few benchmarks with the same results. I did end up with a higher overall OC because the bus increased to 102 which made my overall OC at 4.6Ghz. I ran Prime95 but stopped it after 6 minutes because the temps on Core #1 hit 85C. I doubt games will get it that hot but running stress tests are off the table from now on.

It shouldnt have stopped because it hit 85C. Those don't throttle until 100C or so...

EDIT: Oh, YOU stopped it. Anyway, those temps are fine. You need to/should really stress test to be sure you are actually stable.

It shouldnt have stopped because it hit 85C. Those don't throttle until 100C or so...

EDIT: Oh, YOU stopped it. Anyway, those temps are fine. You need to/should really stress test to be sure you are actually stable.

I guess I'm so used to keeping temps under 80C for so many years, with the sweet spot in the mid 60s even after 24 hrs of Prime95, that I have a difficult time watching those temps hit 85C so quickly. I am using an EK Supreme waterblock made a few years ago before Haswell. I'm wondering if an updated version of the Supreme would see any improvements. Everything else along the loop should be fine - 1/5ID x 3/4OD tubing, MCP655 pump, 240 Black Ice Pro rad, and 2 NoiseBlocker max 1900 rpm PWM fans. I'll go ahead and let it go and take a shot of JD to calm my nerves:)

Back