• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fiber DSL setup help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey everyone, so we just got our first apartment and the apartment is wired with ethernet and telephone which i believe is POE power over ethernet lines,

anyway we got TDS internet which is dsl over fiber,

there is a fiber line going into our apartment and into a wall box in a closet, now i was not here when it was hooked up but i did talk with the tech that did it and he told me that for the ethernet lines i would have to buy a gigabit switch and i need to buy connectors and crimp each rj45 cable to use them, however i would also like to hook up one or two more phone lines but i am unsure how to do it

the first pic is from before the tech came over and hooked it up and the second one is after, the yellow cables are for the ethernet ports and the blue cables are for the phones and i am just wondering how i would go about hooking up one or two more to this box and yes i have full permission to do this. thanks for any help or advice

EDIT i forgot to ask since this is power over ethernet does that mean a voip phone would work with it?

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

That looks like it could be FTTH! It says "ONT" on the box. (That stands for optical network terminal, and thus photon-based internet!)

(Does TDS use VDSL like AT&T's UVerse?)

from reading this if it is correct i would say so,http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-the-VDSL-Connection-Works/1819 they have phone internet and tv and there is a fiber connection coming into the apartment and connecting to that boxed i posted pics of above

FTTH is not the same thing as VDSL and yours looks like FTTH. (Fiber inside your house)

IIRC, VDSL is DSL equipment with fiber to the curb. I haven't seen any VDSL that can touch the max bandwidth of FTTH.

FTTH is what Verizon's FiOS is. And the ISP I'm with also uses true-fiber-to-the-inside-of-the-house tech.

FTTH is not the same thing as VDSL and yours looks like FTTH. (Fiber inside your house)

IIRC, VDSL is DSL equipment with fiber to the curb. I haven't seen any VDSL that can touch the max bandwidth of FTTH.

FTTH is what Verizon's FiOS is. And the ISP I'm with also uses true-fiber-to-the-inside-of-the-house tech.

found this, either way all im wanting to do is hook up another phone line or two

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/...ns-help-offset-effect-slow-busines/2015-02-25

Last edited:
Back