• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this build work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xZippy

Registered
It is compatible.

But what is this going to be used for? It really isn't much faster than what is in your signature really... The 750ti isn't a gaming card per say. It will do 'ok' at 1080p, but will lack in a lot of AAA titles today, none the less a year or two from now.

16GB of ram is a lot for what I will assume will be a gaming PC.

Seasonic power supply?

It will be a gaming PC, yes. I want something that will last me a good while and run them AAA titles, and my budget is roughly $600.

My power supply is this thing.

Nice build ATM. I would throw in a R9 290 over that 750ti since he has another $150 to spend on his budget.

Nice build ATM. I would throw in a R9 290 over that 750ti since he has another $150 to spend on his budget.

I was thinking more toward upgrading the rest of the hardware (case/monitor maybe?).
The 750Ti is pretty solid for gaming and would be a good match for an FM2+ system.

The PSU you added in the list is less watts, unless all of those parts are fine with less watts. Are they..?

Yes. You could easily run what's in my link off of a 350W PSU.

If you are going to use a discrete video card I would go with the AMD X4 860k and overclock it to the max. That motherboard you list in your first post should be a good overclocker. TigerDirect had the 860k on sale yesterday for $60. That would save you some money you could apply to other components.

Wait what now?

So then what would be better mobo for it?

A board thats not meant for overclocking. H97 in this case. Granted, the z97 you picked was pretty cheap, but im pretty sure you can get a cheaper motherboard for that chip and be totally fine for a long time.

and pass on the 270x, its not worth the money. You can find 280's and 280x's around 180 all the time. WELL WORTH the 11 dollars haha.

i.e. these 280's actually wind up cheaper than that 270x you picked.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I completely retract what I said in my first post - the whole "I have decent knowledge on the subject" because it's painfully clear I actually don't. So any motherboard that's cheaper will fit my rig? Are there any Intel i-type CPU's that are real good for overclocking that can fit in my budget?

If you want an intel that will overclock the key is to get a "k" series CPU. The "k" ones have unlocked multipliers. The latest intel core is Haswell and there is a heat problem with them when it comes to overclocking. Intel did not do the overclocking community a favor when they eliminated the metallic solderless TIM under the lid of the CPU which they had used in the Sandy Bridge core and replaced it with a cheap conventional TIM. This temp problem often limits the overclock potential of the Haswell series. That is why people are recommending AMD to you if you really want to have some overclocking fun. There's is often more overclocking headroom with the AMD CPUs than there is with the Intel CPUs. And there are more controls that need to be fiddled with in bios when overclocking an AMD CPU. Even so, the intel Haswells significantly outperform their AMD counterparts when overclocked to the same level.

For cheap thrills in the intel family you might look at the G3258 (the "Pentium Anniversary Edition") which is a dual core unlocked Haswell that goes for around $70. They have a base clock of 3.2 ghz and can typically be overclocked to about 4.4 ghz even on an inexpensive motherboard and without expensive cooling.

Last edited:
I completely retract what I said in my first post - the whole "I have decent knowledge on the subject" because it's painfully clear I actually don't. So any motherboard that's cheaper will fit my rig? Are there any Intel i-type CPU's that are real good for overclocking that can fit in my budget?

Going to be really really tough to get it in budget. Like, finding AMAZING sales and piecing it together. Used gpu may help you slide under 600.

This is the absolute minimum, and its skimping on some parts. No OS, and assuming you can reuse whatever case you have now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bcv8wP

It would be fairly reliable, could squeeze a modest overclock out of both cpu and gpu, and probably max most games at 1080p for a while. Its a touch over budget, but its probably the best you can do with the budget.

Another option ->

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LdYPHx

Not so strong of a cpu, but a solid performer. A RELIABLE over clocking motherboard. Should be able to get a reasonably decent overclock in the low 4's at least, depending on your chip quality. R9 290 is obviously a pig, but its VERY strong. Its significantly stronger than the 280.

Its also under budget ;)

That's fine. How old are they? If we're talking a 5 year old spinner, it might be prudent to get one. Otherwise, get a 120gb ssd.

Back