• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K on ASUS Z97 Motherboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fsxlover2014

Before I knew better, I bought Corsair Vengeance 2933MHz at 12-14-14-36-1T because I payed attention to the speed only and not the cas latency etc...mostly I was tricked because my ASUS motherboard touted it's support for "2933MHz and more"...

I now know that above 1600MHz is bad for the 4790K on a Z97 board because according to Intel ARK this CPU is rated for 1333/1600 only, and by forcing it to run faster puts strain on the CPU's IMC which causes instability (x101 BSOD). Although the ASUS board touted "2933MHz and more", I am now aware that is just marketing crap to tempt me to buy their board over Gigabyte or MSI etc (and their efforts to tempt me worked...however I have loved ASUS for 15 years and will stick to them no matter what anyway)...just my preference and personal tastes is all that guides that choice...

I'm currently stable at 5.0GHz (4988MHz all cores with hyper-crap disabled) by setting the core 50x Multiplier (1.4v manual) with 47x cache (1.325v manual) and when running the latest AIDA64 for 4 hours the max temp was 71c...this leads me to think that I have a holy grail CPU and that I can squeeze more out of it...but no matter what I do, I cannot do 51x core multiplier regardless of what core voltage I give the chip (SVID and FIVR disabled, BCLK at 100)...I believe it may be because I'm not able to raise the cache multiplier also (BSOD)...I read that the cache should be within 300MHz of the core clock, but when I raise mine above 47x multiplier it x101 BSODs...so I believe if I switch out this seemingly crap memory for memory that is rated for this CPU then I will be able to raise the cache to 50x multiplier which will allow me to do the 51x or 52x core multiplier which is what I was really hoping for after delidding/applying CoolerMaster Liquid Pro/lapping with 600grit, then 800grit, then 1000grit, then 2000grit for hours...

What do you all think?

If I spring for the Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz at 7-8-8-24-2N will I reap a decent speed increase over the 2933 memory that I currently have, and will it allow me to raise the cache multiplier?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J128FRS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you much friends

I'm not sure from what to start as generally your way of thinking is totally wrong. Don't mean me wrong but you are looking for problems when there aren't any. Your rig just hits its max on your cooling and it won't be better regardless of used memory or cache settings.

1. IMC default clock is 1600 but higher memory clock = better and even Pentium/i3 can run at 2933 without bigger issues. Optimal clock is at about 2133-2600 depends from timings. x29.33 is max standard ratio for memory on Z97 boards. Every board should reach it.
2. Cache/memory ratio is not affecting cpu clock with that one exception that cache clock has to be ~200-400MHz lower than cpu clock to keep stability. When you pass 5GHz on CPU then cache ratio sometimes won't go much above 5GHz so for 5GHz can use 4.7GHz cache but for 5.4GHz will be 4.8-5.0GHz.
Other thing is that cache is barely affecting performance in daily usage. It helps some only in single benchmarks.
3. Dominator Platinum is waste of money. I don't think Corsair is using any good overclocking IC in new kits but still they're overpriced. If you want to sell 2933 kit then get something like G.Skill TridentX 2133 CL9 or 2400 CL10. With some luck you may find 2400 CL9 too.
4. Delidding/lapping won't help you in OC on ambient cooling when you already reach 5GHz. Your CPU hits the point when it requires higher voltage but it brings much higher temps and won't be stable on air/water cooling.

Despite being new and not having the badges you have, some might consider me "in the biz" and I do know a little about a little...

I was already stable at 5.0 core clock before delidding and lapping...although I didn't say this beforehand...I only brought my temps down by 5c after delidding and lapping...so I was hoping to increase to 5.1 or 5.2GHz now...it seems there is something in the way of that...I believe it may be my memory (RAM) and how it interacts with my CPUs IMC...forcing the RAM on the northbridge to operate at 2933 puts strain on the CPUs IMC and from my understanding it is better to have the RAM and IMC ratings match and have lower cas latency, so that the RAM itself will process data faster with less latency.

Are you saying that I am not correct in this understanding?

Thanks

IMC is strong enough to run at 2933 or even higher without problems with stability. If you have problems with IMC stability then raise VCCSA voltage or lower your memory clock.

Higher clock = lower latency , lower timings = lower latency. Best performance = 2133-2600 memory clock at low timings ( read CL8-CL10 ).
There is no matching of RAM and IMC as everything works on the same bus with different ratios. Matching of some ratios etc was in old series like Core 2 Duo.

Above 5GHz Haswells require much higher voltage steps or much better cooling to keep CPU stable without generating errors. Simply you won't make it run stable at 5.2GHz without voltage bump but voltage bump will raise CPU temp too much to keep it stable on air/water cooling.
I would be glad to have as good CPU as you have. Most of them won't reach 5GHz even unstable on ambient temps.

Also sorry if you took my 1st post as some kind of disrespect. Personally I don't care about all these stars or badges and my replies are never based on that.
Maybe I should start from that but :welcome: to the OCF.

My 4790K on an asrock extreme 9 runs my 2400 ram fine all day long, I just have to key in the timings and speed manually, the board will only set 1600 max profiles by default.
I can only run 5.1-5.0-4.8-4.8, it's against the wall, the only way I'll ever get any higher is going cold, the more vcore I add the less stable it gets.

Back