• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommend me a power conditioner for home uses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Dirty power here, I can hear it. Any one have any cost effective, high quality power conditioners they can recommend first hand?

Do you mean air conditioning?, sorry i don't understand your question.

Power conditioners filter the power and make it "stable" so to speak. In audio circumstances, this results in a type of buzzing or hissing thats hard to ignore. Hoping someone here uses one they can recommend.

Would you count a BBU with voltage regulation for your use?

Would you count a BBU with voltage regulation for your use?

Dont really need a battery so much. They have rack mount power conditioners for guitar rigs Im thinking about trying out. I think I just need one for my stereo system, but it would all depend on cost; not looking to drop a G on this (may not even work lol).

Any good PSU will already have it built in. It sounds like the real problem is that your audio stuff has a poorly designed PSU (very common, as it's one of the first things they skimp on) and a real fix is near impossible without modifying the equipment.

You can always look here, http://www.refurbups.com/. I have gotten backup batteries for my APC UPS, and have had no issues. They UPSs they sell are also great. i would have no problem buying one from them. I will be getting one later on this year, and this is the place I will buy from.

I ask because I have one of these, it works great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133

It has EMI and RFI filters and also does AVR.

That actually looks awesome. How big is it?

Any good PSU will already have it built in. It sounds like the real problem is that your audio stuff has a poorly designed PSU (very common, as it's one of the first things they skimp on) and a real fix is near impossible without modifying the equipment.

Im running an onkyo receiver, entirely feasible the noise may be coming from that.

This is beside my NZXT M59, it's a mid tower.

Attachments

• 1430081640967.jpg
    1430081640967.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 80
Man you gotta do some dusting haha

anywho, cool that doesn't look too outrageous. I'll check some reviews and stuff tonight, thanks.

It's not dust, it's ISO from taking the picture with my phone :p

I'd say it's pretty good, here's my server right now:
2015-04-26 18_21_16-192.168.0.100 - Remote Desktop Connection.jpg

There have been two occasions of power blips or brownouts during that timeframe that reset all the clocks in my place.

How old is it? Could be bad caps.

Haha, probably 5 years old at this point. I DO want a power conditioner simply because they are nice to have (guitar amps and stuff run better with them), but I may just need a new receiver anyway.

That's about the time when (poor quality) caps start to fail. Open it up and if you're lucky, you'll find some of the caps have bulged, Simply replace them (you can upgrade if you know what you're doing) and it should work as good as new. If it takes a lot of effort to gain access, replace all the big electrolytics on that board since the others are probably on their way out.

Digital audio equipment isn't particularly fussy about power quality. If it's even halfway decent, it will have good EMI filtering. (It's more to keep EMI from exiting the unit and causing it to fail conducted EMI tests, but it's just as effective at preventing EMI from entering.)

Well what really caused me to notice is it, I was soldering a guitar, and I noticed whenever I made ground with the soldering iron, the audio would "buzz" a bit.

Ill open her up tomorrow and have a poke around. I won't bother fixing it if I see anything wrong, she's getting tired and 2 of her channels dont work anymore anyway xD

Two of the channels not working could be bad caps or a bad connection. It's probably not a bad MOSFET since those generally fail shorted and cause the whole unit to not work.

If you decide to replace the whole thing, look to upgrade to HVIC or surface mount MOSFET. It's a superior technology to IPMs and through hole MOSFETs.

:
Two of the channels not working could be bad caps or a bad connection. It's probably not a bad MOSFET since those generally fail shorted and cause the whole unit to not work.

If you decide to replace the whole thing, look to upgrade to HVIC or surface mount MOSFET. It's a superior technology to IPMs and through hole MOSFETs.

I know what caused the channel problem :chair:... haha. But that was like 2 years ago. Gotta focus on my 290 at the moment. If it turns out ok, I'll shop around

Well what really caused me to notice is it, I was soldering a guitar, and I noticed whenever I made ground with the soldering iron, the audio would "buzz" a bit.

Bob,

A very nice Power Conditioner from APC is the H10 Power Conditioner.
I purchased one about 5 years ago and it has kept my old 40" Toshiba alive
and now my new Samsung 40" UHDTV. I also have all of my audio/cable/amplifier/
subwoofer/XBOX/Wii-U/etc plugged into it as well. It has served me well for the $299
I purchased it for.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465428-REG/APC_H10BLK_H10_Home_Theater_Power.html

As far as the BUZZING you get when you are using your soldering iron...
First I hope the circuit you are soldering is not powered because it sounds as if your iron
is not properly insulated and it is either shorting out the circuit you are touching, or passing
AC current to the work circuit. Get yourself a better electric soldering iron or use a butane iron instead.

Pete...

Back