• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone with Gigabyte 970a-ud3p boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wah123

Registered
Anyone who has a Gigabyte 970a-ud3p board please can you run a stress test on Prime95 for a few minutes and tell me what temperature readings you get for "VR T1" and "VR T2" in HWiNFO?

Thanks

Can you post a screenshot after running Prime95? We can usually tell from that...

I've read a lot of reports of gigglebyte boards having high temps across VRM. I wonder if its just the nature of the particular ones they use or if something is wrong.
I guess i'll find out when I install my 990fxa

I've read a lot of reports of gigglebyte boards having high temps across VRM. I wonder if its just the nature of the particular ones they use or if something is wrong.
I guess i'll find out when I install my 990fxa

What I'm seeing on RGone's link is erroneous temps, not high temps.
Use HWMonitor.

What I'm seeing on RGone's link is erroneous temps, not high temps.
Use HWMonitor.

Yeah, I think they are erroneos by a lot. Gigabyte AM3+ of all flavors has carried that stigma for a while now. Plus it is so dang hard to tell what temp sensor is actually being reported about.

RGone...

Yeah, I think they are erroneos by a lot. Gigabyte AM3+ of all flavors has carried that stigma for a while now. Plus it is so dang hard to tell what temp sensor is actually being reported about.

RGone...

We have it nailed down for HWMonitor.
Johan should be able to tell you off the top of his head, I could tell you from a screenie as I've forgotten unless I see it again now.

yea that's true, reporting at ~90c th would seem in error.

i'll use my finger temp sensor when I slap the 990fxa in

Hello everyone.

I'm sorry that I've not replied in this thread, I had forgotten all about it until I came across it while searching google just now lol.

As you must have seen my thread in another forum (link posted above by Rgone), I've posted all the details in that thread.

I emailed Gigabyte regarding this and they replied that they have checked with their engineers and that the VRM's don't have any temperature sensors.

I have just bought an IR thermometer gun and will measure the VRM temperature with that, so I'll have an idea of the real temps and if Hwinfo is giving me a false reading or not.

Thank you everyone for your replies and help (even when I was nowhere to be found).

Thanks again

Hello everyone.
I emailed Gigabyte regarding this and they replied that they have checked with their engineers and that the VRM's don't have any temperature sensors. If there are no VRM sensors as Giga says on GA-970a-ud3p VR T1 VR T2 then HWInfo cannot give VR T1 and T2 accurately since there is nothing giving out signal for HWINFO to interpret.

I have just bought an IR thermometer gun and will measure the VRM temperature with that, so I'll have an idea of the real temps and if Hwinfo is giving me a false reading or not. Sure you are getting a false reading since Giga says there are no sensors for HWINFO to actually interpret. So surely you are getting wonky data for VR T1/T2. My Asus CHV has proprietary software that can read the Asus VR T1/T2 sensors but it is way easier just to feel of the heatsink and if I can hold my finger on VRM sink without undue discomfort...I am all good to go. Same for this Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional mobo. Sinks are warm but not h0t so all is good to go. If the sinks were cold...not so good since I would suspect poor contact between sink and Mosfets.

RGone...

I've underclocked my CPU and the VR t1/t2 temps have decreased under load when stress testing, so I don't know where these temps are coming from, but then again like you said if these temps are false then the reading can show any random temperatures.

I'll have a feel of the heatsinks and see how warm they are and I'll try to aim the IR gun at the mosfets and see what readings I get.

Thanks for your reply

I'll try to aim the IR gun at the mosfets and see what readings I get.

This should be interesting; for a long time I've been bemused by software-reported temperature and voltage readings that range from the unlikely to the physically impossible.
;)

Last edited:
All the lukewarm reception of the GA-970A-UD3P v2.0's "improvements" over v1.0 aside, I don't know if I can pass up this deal with free 8G RAM and free shipping. If anyone can think of a reason this combo and my FX-8320 should not be wedded, let him speak now or forever hold his peace.

All the lukewarm reception of the GA-970A-UD3P v2.0's "improvements" over v1.0 aside, I don't know if I can pass up this deal with free 8G RAM and free shipping. If anyone can think of a reason this combo and my FX-8320 should not be wedded, let him speak now or forever hold his peace.

It seems another in a long line of mobos that Gigabyte just cannot get right for AM3+ mobos since you said your self it is very luke-warm received in even Rev 2.0 of a nearly brand new motherboard to begin with. Plus we have found some of the Kingston Ram just to be a plain pain to get running with AMD boards here lately and FX processor. Who knows? Your money.

RGone...

It seems another in a long line of mobos that Gigabyte just cannot get right for AM3+ mobos since you said your self it is very luke-warm received in even Rev 2.0 of a nearly brand new motherboard to begin with.

Well, some guys on some forums like it fine with this CPU, it's just that v1.0 apparently had some nicer appointments. V2.0 apparently economizes on some stuff -- and I'm unsure if this does or doesn't have any relevance to my intended use (which I've gone into in another post). I'm not going to be running this thing overclocked at all until the weather cools down sometime in late October, and then only experimentally until doing video editing/rendering makes overclocking of practical use.

Plus we have found some of the Kingston Ram just to be a plain pain to get running with AMD boards here lately and FX processor.

THIS is more of a concern to me, but I've essentially been ridiculed for even thinking it's a potential problem. Can you give me a link to these discussions and their outcomes?

Thanks!

No I cannot link you to discussions since this site like most will not search 3 letter words like ram. Most of us shorten memory to ram and thus no searchie.

However Mandrake4565 has already given you warning about some Kingston ram not playing well with AMD boards lately in Post #4 of your Please Unconfuse Me About 1866mHz RAM & FX-8320 thread. He did not bring that up just to have something to write. Over the last 16 mos or so there have been more than one user in the AMD cpu forum section with Kingston issues. Probably out of say 10 instances over the last year and half or so, five of the users got other ram and a few managed to get the Kingston HyperX Fury stuff to run after a long battle.

Heck if you are going to get the board the ram was basically free so you have no money in the ram. If the Kingston is not pretty much plug and play then get some G Skill as Mandrake4565 suggested in that Post #4 mentioned above. Pretty simple really.

RGone...

Search my name.

Kingston hyper x + AM3+ is not a good combination. I had to run my 1866 at something ridiculous like 1400 cl 11 to get it to get stable, even then I couldn't overclock much at all. Ignore pretty much everyone who posted in that thread.

Theres plenty of content on hyper x ram and AM3+ not playing well together here, I've even documented my own experiences with it.

I've seen at least seven cases of AMD FX not playing nicely with Kingston RAM just on this forum alone.
Don't do it, it isn't worth the crap shoot.

Back