• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 970M Pro3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ASRock 970M Pro3 < The mATX version is relatively new. Only twelve "customer" reviews at NewEgg. Microcenter has the board and only two customer reviews. Not a lot of action surrounding the newer board by any means.

Looks like 6 +1 VRM power circuit to the CPU, so would be very very marginal in my mind to run an FX-8 core processor even if the FX-8xxx cpus are claimed supported at Asrock CpU support page.

If you wanted to buy an FX processor and run it as AMD designed the cpu to be used...then it might work fair.

RGone...

fx-6300

p.s. at the moment i am running an ASUS M5A78L-M LX-PLUS so it seems like a decent upgrade, considering the mATX limitation.

Neither board is considered any good. Although the AsRock looks nice being all black in color, it's hardly an upgrade.

Be better to save your money when you upgrade from what you have now to an Intel rig or your going to be stuck with current/future gen AMD APU.

Neither board is considered any good. Although the AsRock looks nice being all black in color, it's hardly an upgrade.

Be better to save your money when you upgrade from what you have now to an Intel rig or your going to be stuck with current/future gen AMD APU.

The AMD cpu did very well in games, i would rather save the money for a great video card and pair it with an AMD setup instead of intel.

So if the choice would be amd+great video card vs intel+good video card then for gaming AMD wins, of course if money is no limit then intel seems to offer marginally better performance for double if not more in price tag.

Last edited:
Alright then...

...let us stay exactly to the original post.
1. You have gotten interested. Go for it. Know it seems only a 6 +1 VRM equipped motherboard and certainly would not be my choice for any form of overclock on an FX-6/8 core processor. Processor used exclusively as designed by AMD; then try it. Might be just what you got interested in.

2. Has anyone any real hands-on experience? Likely answer based on having never seen anyone using it, the answer is no.

3. Now in relation to any hands-on experience, I googled for a review and found only those considered buyer/review at selling sites. All I found.

That is close to it in a nut-shell as we have seen motherboards overall around here on a day in and day out basis. Good luck.

RGone...

EDIT:
After I clicked on Submit post a min ago, I remembered something I saw at the Asrock Cpu Support page for that motherboard. At the top of the cpu support page it said, "Please use DOWNWARD BLOWING cpu type cooler" So they want the air to blow down thru cooler fins onto the motherboard. That certainly would limit overclocking and raise the air cooler price since no cheap air cpu coolers in DOWN-BLO need apply. Never on any other AM3+ motherboard have I seen such admonition. Never.
END EDIT.

Seen this board on newegg and it being the only mATX having an AMD 900 chipset got me interested in trying it out, anyone got any experience with it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582

The FX line and it's top FX cpu - the one in my sig there - is hot. Lets say it renders better than a 3770K but not as well as a 4770K and certainly not a 4790K. Having said that, AMD has no future plans (at least for told that any knows about) for making future FX line or aggressive desktop Cpu if you will.

AMD games well. But see it's hard to explain.....

So you buy an FX-8320 for example. Well, now you want to overclock it. Uhg the heat. 1.4v ish. Is handled by most decent liquid cooling in a normal environment. But see you void warranty, not that it ever matters, and you create un-needed heat, Thus looking at intel, you get the same gaming effect on a lower end stock non K model quad as an overclocked 8 core AMD.

Then you look at what games (most of them) are optimized on. It's Intel. Made on an Intel machine. And generally runs and plays smoother on Intel. This is a disadvantage.

OK, so even with FX-4300 vs Phenom II 965BE. OK on a lot of titles, I found these two cpu's game very similar. The difference was clock speed. tested 3.8ghz vs 4.8ghz FX favor. No major increase or decrease within a marginal error.

History, making a complete quad to a complete 8 core cpu was interesting. All because of a design that was tried many years ago with much fail. It should be written in the books that this was at least some sort of accomplishment. 8 cores shared cache, modules, pipelines, all that fun stuff. Integrated a better newer HT circuit. But as it sits, the X86 core itself is still unchanged. It shrinks, makes room for more transistors or more hardware such as x86 and ARM hybrids (future desktop??) and x86 with iGPU that actually is good for streaming and light to med gaming. A decent core for winrar I might add. fast.

But if you want AMD, it's gotta be for more than just gaming. You'll find a lot of their newer APUs game pretty well with a hefty VGA card too. After all, it's still the same x86 core doing the work.

You wanna know something though. I ran a 980BE in the M5A board for some months. Nice big 850psu. GTX 480. Liquid cooled the whole darn thing..... exceptional gaming experiences. :D

Seen this board on newegg and it being the only mATX having an AMD 900 chipset got me interested in trying it out, anyone got any experience with it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582

I have this motherboard and its knid of a mixed bag, its got great features for an AMD AM3+ board however you won't be breaking any records when it comes to over-clocking. I got my FX-6300 from 3.5 to 4.0 with the built-in OC tools that comes with the bios...not bad, it ran pretty stable until I made the mistake of plugging it up to my TV. After that I had all kinds of issues and I had to end up reinstalling the bios, after that i was good to go. I will be putting a water-cooling AIO in their next week as well as as custom Mosfet H/S from Thermal right (Thermalright HR-09 Mosfet cooler) once I do this I'm going to see what I can do with this board...I'm looking to hit 4.2 stable but with the power phase setup on this board not sure if I can do it. If your putting an FX-6300 on the board you should have no problem getting a 500MHz O.C. out of this thing and their auto O.C. feature is actually impressive so I say go for it!

If your putting an FX-6300 on the board you should have no problem getting a 500MHz O.C. out of this thing and their auto O.C. feature is actually impressive so I say go for it!

Seeing that the originator of this thread last posted over four months ago he is more than likely long past the point of either getting this board or deciding against it.

Back