• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Surface or Surface Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Im considering getting a tablet. I dont know anyone w/either device in thread title.

Any one own it, or have opinions on either? OR think there is better out there? No need for MS sucks etc..this is not a fanboy/fanhater thread.

Make sure it is a non-RT tablet. Other than that you should be fine.

I used a stylus on the current Surface.
Very impressive tablet, agreed with Janus about getting non-RT too.

If I had any use for a tablet bigger than my Nexus 7 or needed a good writing tablet I wouldn't hesitate to get a Pro 3.

I just bought a Surface 3 Pro today for office use. Really nice hardware. Cant see a use for it at home, but for travel office, its great. As said before, make sure its a Pro and not RT.

Both normal programs and apps on a Surface Pro. That's the big benefit.

The new Surface 3's are non-RT. This is in addition to the Surface Pro line that is full x86. I believe only the original Surface and Surface 2 are RTs. Look at the specs of the Surface 3 and Surface 3 Pro then decide what you need while also considering your budget. I have an original Surface Pro that I really like and I would upgrade to a Surface Pro 3 if money grew on trees. I've recommended the Surface Pro 3 to several people (including former Mac users) and they seem to enjoy it. The worst thing about the Surface Pro is the touchpad. It's not that big of an issue, and I think they improved it for the Pro 3, but it's still worth going to your local electronics store to test out. Also, seeing it in person will help you decide which form factor you prefer, as the 3 Pro is larger than the 3.

Rocking the Pro here. I use it extensively for Mathematica simulations, VC++ numerical Diffeq crunching, data analysis using Origin Pro and for writing. All my lecture/lab/meeting notes are now paperless. Money well spent!

Back