• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 8GB finally going to be eclipsed by 16GB as the new standard for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodkat

I read a recent requirements sheet for an upcoming triple-A title (maybe Project Cars?) that stated 8GB minimum. MINIMUM.

I'm in a position right now to sell an old tri-channel 12gb kit that could essentially have me break-even on a new 16gb kit. I'm using 2x4 on the new build and have the third stick as a backup. That is actually a nice feeling for a guy like me who doesn't have the most steady income stream. And this ram has never hiccuped.

As a DOA or RMA could leave me without a PC for a week or longer; should I risk the upgrade? Is it needed? Will DX12 actually help keep 8GB as the standard for gaming?

Talk me off the ledge, or push me off. Gracias.

As more games start to use 64bit executables it will be possible to address additional memory. For any games that are being also released on consoles I would not expect to see anything requiring over 8gb of system memory. For random one-off games that are pc-only and not being released by a publisher that has to still hit 32bit windows installs, it could be possible to need more.

Ultimately I would wait and see. If you can otherwise essentially upgrade for free though I don't see any reason not to.

Work hasn't been steady for years and having the extra stick as a backup is nice. If I learned anything over the last several years it's to have backups to backups.

But I also get too far inside my own head and start worrying about **** like this. Of course it makes sense to upgrade for free. I just hope my luck with ram holds out. So I got this for $94 and will keep my fingers crossed.

I might even make a little money on the deal. That 1366 build was the gift that keeps on giving as far as recouping what I paid 5+ years ago.

As you stated "16GB has become the new standard for gaming". The 8GB minimum is just to get you in the door to play the game. From what I have read on the web about the " NEW " 64bit games, ( COD Ghost and AW, BF4, and some others) will not run without a minimum of 8GB memory. There are some memory hacks for these games so that they will run on less BUT you take a performance hit with less than 16GB. I'm sure that a SSD would offset some of this but if you are still rolling with mechanical drives, you will notice...

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

Get a 4x4GB set if you upgrade. The chances of more than one stick going at the same time are pretty low.
Then, you'd still have "backup" sticks.

Hell Minecraft + OS eats up 6.2 Gb on my machine!
Granted, it's modded like crazy but still.

If you can see your RAM and get a 16Gb kit for the same price, I would.

Get the new RAM and make sure it works before selling the old stuff.

Yeah I will just hold onto it for at least 30 days. Although, I guess if it was even DOA, Newegg would charge me to ship it back to them now? Someone I know just went through this. That's not the Newegg I used to know.

Get a 4x4GB set if you upgrade. The chances of more than one stick going at the same time are pretty low.
Then, you'd still have "backup" sticks.

I already went with the 2x8 as the stupid-big coolers these days simply wont allow for it. I guess you at least need a proprietary water setup to fit four sticks.

I might just keep the third stick in the tri-channel kit as a backup and eat $30.

While people tend to only get one bad stick they still require you to send the whole kit back instead of letting you still run your PC on one. I'm most afraid of being without the ability to even get on the computer for work.

Yeah I will just hold onto it for at least 30 days. Although, I guess if it was even DOA, Newegg would charge me to ship it back to them now? Someone I know just went through this. That's not the Newegg I used to know.

I already went with the 2x8 as the stupid-big coolers these days simply wont allow for it. I guess you at least need a proprietary water setup to fit four sticks.

I might just keep the third stick in the tri-channel kit as a backup and eat $30.

While people tend to only get one bad stick they still require you to send the whole kit back instead of letting you still run your PC on one. I'm most afraid of being without the ability to even get on the computer for work.

Most air coolers will fit almost any ram just fine o_O

Back