• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP & SSD TRIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I was thinking of popping an SSD in my XP HTPC to speed things up. The old 40GB WD is really slow. What's the best way to keep the SSD fresh? I have SATA II ports.

XP doesn't have TRIM. I've run an SSD on XP and it will run well enough, you just have to be aware that there will be, over time, some sludge buildup. Do you have any reason to stick with XP in particular? I ask as Win7 would be some improvement; with Win10 about to hit the shelves Win7 will be 2 generations back but supported for several more years. But I think you know all this?

I'm not sure of the transferability of MS licenses but I've got a spare Win7Pro license if you need...

I've got eight Win7pro COAs. It's due to the hardware and most importantly software that needs XP.

So how do you keep SSD fresh and fast in XP?

My Intel SSDs have a program called Intel SSD Toolbox which keeps things optimized. I've only used it in Vista & Win7, but it says it'll work with XP. I'm guessing other SSD manufacturers have their own software too.

XP does not support Trim.
You can force GC in XP using this. (see attached)
Other than that, the usual SSD tweaks apply.
Turn off indexing
Turn off system restore
Do not defrag
Etc.
I have SSD's on XP for more than 4 years now without issue. Some maybe longer.

Attachments

• ssdtool.zip
    317.5 KB · Views: 54
Back