• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide what GFX to buy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tom7792

Hey guys, trying to figure what GPU I should get to my (slightly old) system.

My current hardware is :

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Video Card 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Video Card 2 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Memory 8.2 GB
Max Resolution 2560x1440

Motherboard : Z68X - UD4 - B3

Currently trying to decide between going for 970GTX, 980 GTX or waiting for the summer for a new line up (?) heard theres something new coming but i have no idea really what it is.

mainly gaming purposes but also doing motion design (graphical animation) at home.

got the budget for both cards, can anyone tell me how I should proceed ? just trying to give my PC another 2-3 years of lifespan gaming wise, cheers!!

Budget?
Does your motion design program utilize the GPU? Which program is it?

Id hold off until the 380x shows its face (should be a couple weeks). Barring that, I'd definitely get the 980 since youre at 1440p gaming.

Yea, this late in the program, I'd wait for the next generation and see where the power is. If nothing else, it might bring down the price on the 980s.

Yeah, the 380x is due out by the end of the 2H (end of June). Considering we haven't seen too much in the way of leaks, I would expect it later than sooner. So if you can wait up to two months, then I would. If not, then grab something now.

If you are looking for price/performance, you may not want to go with a next gen GPU. I would definitely advise waiting for next gen. to drop as current or previous gen prices are going to drop.
2 or even 3 -. 290x's will crush any current single card heavy weight or next gen and cost the same or less. The pre-owned 290x market is going to be awesome.

Back