• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8370, prime 95 fatal error. [SOLVED]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piettu

Registered
I get this error when i run prime 95: prime 95 fatal error rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4, and/or errors mentioned on any other CPU stressing program, except AMD OverDrives stability test. My specs are

AMD FX-8370 8-core
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
GIGABYTE RADEON R9 280
CRUCIAL 128 GB SSD (containing Windows 8.1 PRO)
1t HDD containing games and programs: Samsung
Crucial Vengeance 1x8 Gb RAM
PSU: FP-750W, 230V
Chassis: EXtremeEngine 3T

That error occurs randomly on one of my cores. I haven't ran the test longer than 20-30 minutes because one of the workers have stopped. Previously that test resulted to BSOD, but then I ran a chkdsk /r and now only one stops because of that error. (fatal error rounding was 0.46484375, expected less than 0.4)

Thoughts? Games run fine. FarCry 4, BF 4 and The Witcher 2 for example run fine, with good (50+) FPS on high/ultra settings. I am having problems with assassin's creed unity but then, so is everybody else.

I have checked my temperatures with CPUID HWmonitor, and nothing SEEMS to be out of place.

I can provide u guys with more information, but heres the main stuff that came to my mind. Thank u in advance.

UPDATE: I have had a new error, KERNEL-POWER ERROR, EVENT ID 41.

Seems to happen everytime I game for some time, like after an hour of BF 4. I have checked my temps, and there is nothing out of the ordinary in them. Could this be a PSU problem?

Last edited:
Doubtful on PSU's actual power rating of 750watts...

Are you overclocking as well?
Not on that board I hope.

Can it actually do that? Or just some lowly 400watt PSU fronting as a 750? :shrug:
That's what I don't know about.

Either way, that's not good. If the CPU and GPU are on one rail it could easily be getting toward the limit of that cheap-o.

Either way, that's not good. If the CPU and GPU are on one rail it could easily be getting toward the limit of that cheap-o.

Well a 'good' power supply will not have the rails overloaded that way but balanced somewhat internally by design. Most good power supplies will say "somewhere" what each +12V rail is responsible for. In the P/S manual or a spec sheet somewhere.

C_D tried to run an overclocked FX-4100 on the M5A97 board and even that 4 core gave him stability issues. Of course all that information is now sort of hidden from view since it was long ago in the FX time frame and most learned and have not seen but maybe one or two at the most come in trying to run FX-6/8 core on that weaker M5A97 board.

RGone...

Hi, OP here. Im not overclocking, just bought these parts because my old computer died. I tried to save some money and used my old PSU, it is about 5 years old. All coolers are stock.

All of your problems could be because you're using a crap psu as well as a subpar motherboard. If you're not overclocking, the mobo should be ok AS LONG AS ITS NOT THE LE edition.

It is not the LE edition. What PSU should I get then? I have tried a lot of different tests to see if I can find a problem, but it seems like a safe bet to change the PSU.

This link...

...link is a good start.

P/S buying guide, updated Dec of 2014

RGone...

EDIT:
I know a power supply an cause issues that are so absolutely difficult to troubleshoot and one reason to get the power for a system that is very good. Also rans have worked for years, but in my overclocking journeys, I have cured problems by getting a good power supply. This after all my hair was just before going missing.

I have a power supply rated at 1000watts that has 4 x 19Amp +12V rails and it has run my overclocked cpus and lately FX 8 core cpus to over 5.0 GHz and even to 5.2GHz stable. Would I suggest such to a user today? Not hardly. It might be that my power supply broken down into four rails like that just happened to be an over-achiever. Or slightly under-rated. Don't know. All the other power supplies I have bought after that have been Single Rail type power supplies on the +12V to try and ward off having to carefully load balance the +12V rails.

You might do well to take a long hard look at these two links. They are representative of searching for your Kernel Power error.

In the second post, see how far down an actual power supply is called out as a cause.

Kernel Power Critical Error, event id 41

Link has some rather interesting troubleshooting procedures.

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down or restarts unexpectedly.

END EDIT.

Last edited:
I'd take the Super Flower over the Corsair, regardless of price, personally.

Pushing the limits on the CPU/Socket temps.
I doubt it'll be stable for longer runs as temps will creep up slowly as you play longer.

For 30 minutes of gaming that's higher than I would like to see them. It wouldn't surprise me if after longer sessions you might be getting into the shut down zone. Just as a test try playin BF4 with the side cover off. I am curious if that GFX card exhausts out the back or into the case. What model Gigabyte is it?

Suggestions? My cooler for the CPU is stock, I own an old Noctua (model: Noctua NH-U9B Tower cooler ) but didnt install it because the stock cooler fitted so nicely, unlike that Noctua cooler.

Although it's not a great cooler, it's probably better than the stock one. I would still try it with the side off that case. If you haven't at least installed an exhaust fan in that one it's probably the source of the problem.

Back