• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

290 running hot? (yes yes the irony)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Noticing my 290 is running a bit hot lately. Im idling in windows at 55c.

Few things ->

-> arctic accelero extreme cooler
-> I monitor temps ALL the time, I have a good reference
-> ambient temps have been relatively constant for a few weeks
-> load or other wise, temps are just higher today for no known reason
-> fans are spinning
-> heat sink and pcb is hot to the touch at idle, I don't recall that being an issue ever
-> filtered intakes, and I clean my computer frequently, not a dust issue
-> overclock or stock, changes nothing
-> random very short spike to 88%, then back to 0% (Im pretty sure what ever is causing this is the problem)
-> dont see a program pulling gpu resources running
-> Fresh windows install as over YESTERDAY (Bad ram corrupted hard drive, had to wipe everything).

Cant think of any reason why this would be happening.

TIM needs replacing?

Figured that would be more of an "over time" kinda thing, this literally just started happening today.

just ran cinebench 5 times in a row, got progressively less FPS each time (Ran it back to back, went from 91 to 84).

You remove a few screws, clean TIM, apply TIM, put in screws.

I guess Ill give it a try... can't hurt anyway.

NTH1 or AS5? OR ceramique 2 (not sure what would be best for a gpu)

I'd pick Ceramique 2 for a GPU probably. It isn't quite as good of a paste, but it is thicker and I've had better luck with its spread on GPU's.

Done, and used ceramique ;)

Lets see how this goes... The prior TIM was in poor shape, so that may very well be the issue (Sorry SP!)

- - - Updated - - -

Its STILL running hot... what the heck

20150426_225921_resized_zps53epcnyw.jpg

Most likely dried out, ready for temps!

Edit: Oh... um, I'm not sure at this point. I just figured it was dried out TIM.
Good airflow still?

OK now I cant change clock speeds on it...

Restarting computer. Apparently I have 70 updates to do... wonder if that had anything to do with it.

@edit airflow is fantastic. 6 140mm fans and my glass top is off.

what in the world.... 36c now...

Any particular reason why back ground services would cause gpu spikes?

cinebench running at 99.39 fps now

Last edited:
My main computer does weird things like this now and then too. My graphics card usually idles at 34-38°C, but every now and then it will spike to 44-50°C and stay there for a few minutes when I'm not doing anything graphically-intense.

My main computer does weird things like this now and then too. My graphics card usually idles at 34-38°C, but every now and then it will spike to 44-50°C and stay there for a few minutes when I'm not doing anything graphically-intense.

I just don't know why a background service would cause graphic spikes o_O. Everything is copacetic now, just was really strange. Least I got some new TIM put on, albeit temps didn't change much for some reason.

You keep asking why, and will continue to do so until you figure out which one did it. Knowing which one did it will probably give you that answer. :)

You keep asking why, and will continue to do so until you figure out which one did it. Knowing which one did it will probably give you that answer. :)

Hoping someone would know! My computer had 70 updates, so it was clearly doing something, but I just don't understand why one of those would cause a gpu spike. Only reason I want to know now is A) if others have this problem and B) if it happens again.

Hoping someone would know! My computer had 70 updates, so it was clearly doing something, but I just don't understand why one of those would cause a gpu spike. Only reason I want to know now is A) if others have this problem and B) if it happens again.

YOU have to find which update or service did it.

Back