• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Camera bag or case for 60D to be used while hiking & camping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebug122

Morning Gents,

I'll be going on a week long trip to the maritimes this June and need to invest in a good camera bag or case. I'll be back-country camping (no more than 1-2 nights at a time) and hiking along the Cabot Trail and other provincial parks for several hours at a time so in addition to my camera gear, I'll need to carry a tent, sleeping bag, foam roll, etc. If I purchase a low-profile Pelican case, I should be able to fit it in my 60L (15.8 US Gal) pack:
pack1.jpg pack2.jpg

I could get a proper camera bag (Tamrac, Kata, Lowepro, etc) instead, but I feel like it would be awkward to carry in addition to the pack unless it is small enough to fit inside.

The camera gear I plan on bringing is:
Canon 60D
18-55mm
70-300mm
Charger
Spare battery & SD cards

I hope I'm not being unreasonable. I'd really like to get some good shots that I can blow up and frame later (otherwise I would just bring my point and shoot).

Thanks

Last edited:
Just to make sure I'm reading right, you just want a case for your gear to put inside the pack?

Sorry, my post sounds confusing having reread it myself (it's been a long morning). I would prefer to have it fit in the pack when trekking to and from the backcountry campsite, but I will be carrying it without the pack on hikes once I've set up camp.

I think having it fit inside a backpack and be good for hiking (which requires a backpack) is going to be difficult, at best. There are some smaller packs out there, and while they look like they would hold what you want, they might also take up most of your pack. Here are a couple:

Lowepro Photo Traveler 150
Tamrac Jazz 81 or Jazz 83

They're small in their own right, but probably too big to fit inside another pack and still leave room for things like, you know, food. :p

Yeah, food kind of takes priority. Having my girlfriend carry ALL the camping gear just so I have room for my camera & lenses is out of the question :p

I like the look of that Jazz 83.

I'll throw this out there, because doing quite a bit of backpacking myself, I've found this works quite well for me. Something to think about, anyway...

Leave the 18-55 at home and get a 40mm pancake instead of a case. Obviously a new 40mm cost more than a good case, but new they run about 150 bucks, and used quite a bit less. Much better IQ (really a great lens) than the 18-55, and if you really need wider, make a pano. I've been bringing my 105mm macro and the pancake. The macro (or your zoom) stays on the camera, which I use a carabiner to clip my black rapid strap anchor to the d-ring on my backpack shoulder strap while hiking (I like this enough that I'll probably end up getting a cotton carrier strap shot which holds the camera tighter). The 40mm gets put in my pocket. spare battery and SD cards can go anywhere handy. If you run into rain, stick the camera in a 2 gallon ziplock, and stuff it in your pack. Shouldn't be a problem with a 60L pack with gear for 2 nights. I carry a 68L for a week. You shouldn't need to bring a charger with 2 batteries, nowhere to plug it in anyway. The extra weight of another case really isn't worth it.

I've convinced myself I was being overly paranoid about keeping my equipment safe on a back-country trip. I have a very basic Lowepro bag that I am going to keep in the top of my pack with the additional lens and wear the camera around my neck. Can't wait to get some shots at Fishing Cove in Cape Breton.

@DnB: I did end up geting the 40mm pancake. I really like the pictures that I've taken with it so far!

I've convinced myself I was being overly paranoid about keeping my equipment safe on a back-country trip. I have a very basic Lowepro bag that I am going to keep in the top of my pack with the additional lens and wear the camera around my neck. Can't wait to get some shots at Fishing Cove in Cape Breton.

@DnB: I did end up geting the 40mm pancake. I really like the pictures that I've taken with it so far!

Pretty good plan, ebug. I've learned a lot through trial and error, and have come to the conclusion that the camera just belongs on your shoulder or neck. Doesn't do much good in a pack! I did end up getting a strapshot, and used it last weekend. I'm really impressed with it functionally, but it is expensive for what it is. The bottom line is it's worth it to me with all the hiking I do, so money well spent.

I'm glad you like the pancake. Really an overlooked gem, in my opinion. Have fun on your trip!

Back