• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHAT THE BEST OPTION 2 GTX 980 OR 1 TITAN X ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsena

Registered
Hi Guys ...

What the best option : 2 GTX 980 GV-N980WF3OC-4GD OR 1 GTX TITAN X ?

Thank you all.

Bruno.

As I said on your other post, we need the full system and intended usage to be able to help you.

I'm answering here, not in the thread that's general discussion about the TitanX.

By FullHD do you mean 1080p?

Jesus Man ... YES, YES, YES ...

Why so many questions ?

Full HD 1080p or little better ... NOT 4K, right ?

I want performance ... more and more FPS ...

My intention is use 3 monitors in 3-way SLI.

As I inform in another post, my rig is : 3970X / 64 Gb RAM RipJaws G.Skill 2400 Mhz / H100i / Thermaltake 1375 w / HD 7990 / Cosmos 2 Ultra Tower.

I want to replace my HD7990 by 2 GTX 980 or 1 Titan X.

Just this ...

If you're using a 1080p 60Hz monitor, then you're talking about massive overkill...

Also, when you're running three monitors, it isn't SLI.
SLI is for multiple GPU's. NVidia Surround or AMD Eyefinity are for multiple monitors.

So, you're running 3x 1080p monitors, if I'm interpreting your post correctly.
What's the refresh rate on the monitor(s)?

Why so many questions ?

Do you want the best answer, or just one that will make you giggly?

At 1080p at any refresh rate, either solution will be overkill. Even going triple monitors, you'll probably need 120/144hz monitors to really see any benefit to spending over a grand on video cards. That's another $600 minimum, and I wouldn't go cheap on monitors if it were me.

For $600, you can get one really nice 1440p screen that will work good on one 980, saving like $550. Just showing you some options.

Or you could grab a decent 4k screen and really push 2 980s or a TitanX (in that case I'd probably recommend the 980s).

If it were me, I'd go with the 980's. The titan's are stronger cards but performance/$ is better with the 980's. Titans would be good if you're pci-x slot or lane limited.

At 1080p at any refresh rate, either solution will be overkill. Even going triple monitors, you'll probably need 120/144hz monitors to really see any benefit to spending over a grand on video cards. That's another $600 minimum, and I wouldn't go cheap on monitors if it were me.

For $600, you can get one really nice 1440p screen that will work good on one 980, saving like $550. Just showing you some options.

Or you could grab a decent 4k screen and really push 2 980s or a TitanX (in that case I'd probably recommend the 980s).
QFT!!!

This.

I run 3x1080p at 61Hz with a single 980. It performs great.

Ok Atminside ...

Listen : with my current config I'm getting too many directX errors when I playing Battlefield 3 or Battlefield 4 ... I don't know if this problem occurs because of my card HD 7990 or something else ... But I hope finishing this boring issue by replacing my video card. So I would like to know what the best option nowadays : 2 GTX 980 or simply 1 Titan X.

Please advice me better ...

Thanks a lot ...

You play BF3 or 4 ?

You already get these type of errors (directx) ?

Man I'm really tired with this **** ...

- - - Updated - - -

With these 1 single 980 that you mention, you play with 3 1080p as a one ? Like Crossfire ou SLI Surround ?

Oy...

Grab a site 980 bsena. I don't get those errors in bf4 when I had a 980 and 970. I also don't get the errors on 295x2 either.

Check out or review on the front page of 980s. We test in 3x1080 monitors and BF4.

I have run BF4 on 5760x1080 on a GTX 780. It ran fine.
The 980 is (much) faster than the 780 was, it'd be even better.

I don't play regularly enough to comment personally on the DirectX errors, but I know plenty of people that play daily/weekly that don't have errors.

Ok Earthdog ...

If was YOU, What you will want to do : buy one of these cards i've mention or a 295x2 ?

Is this 295x2 better than Titan X ?

- - - Updated - - -

Please be patience ...

I'd buy a single 980. It will be enough for bf4. If you find it isnt, THEN get another one...but I doubt you will need it.

Really depends on game....for GTA V, I have my titan X overclocked to 1400 core/1.21v, and with 27 inch 1440 resolution, with game on ultra settings, except msaa 2x, no txaa I am right at 60-75 fps driving/flying (most taxing is driving/flying but lot of that). Which is pretty typical in GTA V threads for titan X. If I max msaa/and or txaa, then I drop to 50's. Same with Far cry 4, ultra settings at 1440, despite overclocked to 1400 core, im at 67-85 fps (not counting 90+ fps in standing around in some areas). However temporal antialiasing is clearly best AA, and only one I can really notice much, and with it maxed, again I am in the 50's fps as are others with it maxed in that game on 1440. Again im talking of taxing things, driving/flying/fights, etc.

So for games I enjoy, like far cry 4, GTA V, I cant even get much if any benefit from 120mhz as it would be nearly a waste with a single titan X. Though that will be next upgrade when newer 120mhz monitors come out. 4k is a joke on those games with single titan X, as you either get a crappy frame rate (unplayable imo) or you decrease quality of image, in which case rather have 1440 on ultra. Most are running 2-3 titans with 4k.

some of the newer games that are coming are going to be more taxing on gpus. Single titan X for my gaming at 1440, 60 hz is best I can use. I will be happier when a single gpu can drive 1440 at 120hz, and still have at least txaa maxed with ultra settings. I am hoping next generation gpus allows me benefit of 120hz with single gpu, 4k is probably 2 years away for single gpu unless game requirements outpace gpu improvements. Or maybe windows 10 directx 12 if fast as everyone says, will make my titan x useful for 120mhz monitor in games/settings I enjoy.

I no longer do sli....to many issues, min frame rates too low...just no interest anymore.

Last edited:
bsena. If you're going for raw power and don't care about overkill. Grab the dual 980's.
I started with a single 970 and could run bf4 on ultra settings but with resolution scale only set to 135 % (100% default, 200% max). Grabbed a second 970 and could bump it up to about 150-160%.
Then i got gta 5 and realized the two 970's were insufficient to keep max settings at a constant 60fps @ 1080.
So i decided to take the second one back and get two EVGA 980 Classifieds, great cards. Ran bf4 on ultra with max 200% resolution scale getting fps on average of about 80.
Although on gta 5 i came to realize that my cpu at the time (FX-8320) was a bottleneck i took the two 980's back and grabbed a i7-4790K and ran gta 5 on my original 970 and wow did i notice a difference. So i've ordered a titan x to come in to the store but now im contemplating going back to the dual 980's using my new cpu.

Long story short dual 980 > titan x.

Back