• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How extreme is my r290 overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

Sapphire reference card, not factory overclocked... 1093 core, 1400 ram. On air, 81c at full load. I've just been increasing values in msi afterburner by 50mhz until weird stuff started happening in GTA V, then bumped it back.

Seems pretty average? But yeah, the answer depends on how much voltage you have added. Are you tapped out or is this with no voltage increases?

GTA isn't super stable with AMD's yet anyway. I'd recommend back the ram back down to 1300, and not try to soak every last mhz out of your card at this time.... but its your card.

GTA isn't super stable with AMD's yet anyway. I'd recommend back the ram back down to 1300, and not try to soak every last mhz out of your card at this time.... but its your card.

I'm not sure why he should back the OC down if it's running fine...

I'm not sure why he should back the OC down if it's running fine...

Im assuming he's squeezing every last drop out of that 290. GTA 5 isn't super stable yet, and has lots of issues with r9's right now. Backing clocks down a tick will only help him (if thats indeed the case)

Yeah, that overclock (vram) doesn't appeared 'pushed' to me. Any AMD card (R9 290/290x) I had would EASILY rock 1400 Mhz. Most were 1500+ (My 295x2 is 1625 Mhz). Clearly, if there are problems in the game, then back off. But if not, there isn't a reason to.

Im assuming he's squeezing every last drop out of that 290. GTA 5 isn't super stable yet, and has lots of issues with r9's right now. Backing clocks down a tick will only help him (if thats indeed the case)

He said in the first post that we pushed till he had issues then backed down until there were no issues.

He said in the first post that we pushed till he had issues then backed down until there were no issues.

Which is a terrible way to stability test. He should get firestrike/unigine programs and test them properly. Im saying from experience, my card seemed fine for all intents and purposes, then would crash gta V randomly. Went down to 1075/1300 and things were fine from there (from 1175/1400).

Which is a terrible way to stability test. He should get firestrike/unigine programs and test them properly. Im saying from experience, my card seemed fine for all intents and purposes, then would crash gta V randomly. Went down to 1075/1300 and things were fine from there (from 1175/1400).

Okay, so you were stable in Fire Strike, but not stable in GTA V.
He's stable in GTA V, so where's the problem?

the memory speed totally depends on if they have hynix or elpida memory. Hynix (IIRC) was good up to around or above 1500, elpida woud crap out around 1350-ish (at least that's my memory from running them as miners).

Stability is all about what you need it to be stable for. ;)

Firestrike was a close second to Unigine Heaven/Valley in my experiences.

But even then, its not a guarantee either. So as I said, if its not stable in whatever game, back off the clocks a bit. If it isn't, then good to go! :)

the memory speed totally depends on if they have hynix or elpida memory. Hynix (IIRC) was good up to around or above 1500, elpida woud crap out around 1350-ish (at least that's my memory from running them as miners).
+1

You can check in GPUz, it should show the IC. ;)

Okay, so you were stable in Fire Strike, but not stable in GTA V.
He's stable in GTA V, so where's the problem?

Because I didn't have artifacting ("weird stuff"). I'd be an hour into a heist and would black screen and crash. Im simply saying it sounds like he did a cursory run from my perspective. If he's playing for hours with no issues, then so be it.

What kind of issues are you talking about? I've been playing it with 2x 290x overclocked to 1150/1375, everything maxed out and VSR set to 3200x1800 and it's smooth as butter. Not a single problem in about 8 hours of game play. Drivers are 15.4 beta.

What kind of issues are you talking about? I've been playing it with 2x 290x overclocked to 1150/1375, everything maxed out and VSR set to 3200x1800 and it's smooth as butter. Not a single problem in about 8 hours of game play. Drivers are 15.4 beta.
Besides my own experiences with problems, GTA V amd bugs are pretty well documented. I'd say consider yourself fortunate more than discounting everything based on a singular experience.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2608905/low-fps-gta-8350-290.html
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203473047-GTA-V-PC-Stutter-Issue
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/347885-gta-v-stuttering-r9-290/
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203324858-GTA-V-Crossfire-GPU-bug
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398429
http://gtaforums.com/topic/785952-issues-stuttering-with-2x270x-crossfire/
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2613317/crossfire-gta-vram.html

To me, pretty muich everything I just looked at in your links was user incompetence. Some links were nVidia hardware, some were 280X or 270X so I'm ignoring those since we're talking about a 290 here. For example, your first link was a 290 user with problem.s Someone told him to update to 15.4, which he did, and the game now runs perfectly.

A lot of people won't realize this, but the game is extremely CPU heavy and takes advantage of all threads available. My 5960X gets hit on all 16 threads, and CPU usage while cruising around town is about 50-65%. That's more than an identically clocked 4790k can provide. Forget about maxing this game out with more than 1 GPU if you only have an FX 83xx or i5 CPU, it's not happening. Even a high end well overclocked 1150 i7 is a stretch.

To me, pretty muich everything I just looked at in your links was user incompetence. Some links were nVidia hardware, some were 280X or 270X so I'm ignoring those since we're talking about a 290 here. For example, your first link was a 290 user with problem.s Someone told him to update to 15.4, which he did, and the game now runs perfectly.

A lot of people won't realize this, but the game is extremely CPU heavy and takes advantage of all threads available. My 5960X gets hit on all 16 threads, and CPU usage while cruising around town is about 50-65%. That's more than an identically clocked 4790k can provide. Forget about maxing this game out with more than 1 GPU if you only have an FX 83xx or i5 CPU, it's not happening. Even a high end well overclocked 1150 i7 is a stretch.

Just meant AMD issues are prevalent, the card seems irrelevant (driver issues perhaps). I've personally had no issues since cooling down the overclock, and using the beta 15.4 drivers. Im maxing everything, no issues on my end, and a smooth frame rate at that.

I may have worse temps if I hadn't have stepped up my fan speed profile by about 5% per value. I have it running at the same temp that it would be if I'd left it at stock. So this isn't a good idea, even if it appears to be stable?

Seems fairly normal, did you add any voltage?

I don't know much about overclocking video cards, just read an msi afterburner guide, so I haven't touched anything to do with voltage.

Janus67 said:

Elpida.

Bob4933 said:

That's funny as I upgraded from a geforce 760 due to a guy saying his radeon 280 ran all (non-advanced) settings at max on the same cpu as mine. Others said a 290 would destroy GTA.

I wouldn't call 30-50 fps "destroying" a game, but it's certainly smooth on my end.

Astonishing honestly. If you didnt touch voltage or overpower settings and got 1175 you probably have a ridiculous 290 on your hands.

I wouldn't call 30-50 fps "destroying" a game, but it's certainly smooth on my end.

Astonishing honestly. If you didnt touch voltage or overpower settings and got 1175 you probably have a ridiculous 290 on your hands.

Had to drop the ram down by 50mhz to get Unigine running crash-free.

Back