• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when did Chrome become such a pig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Just noticed my chrome is using 2-3gb when watching youtube videos. I don't remember it being so memory intensive. Anyone else noticing this?

Open the Chrome Task Manager and see what's using the memory.

Open the Chrome Task Manager and see what's using the memory.
Geeze!

Who knew that 14 tabs of dragonccave would take up 350+ Mb????
Forgot Chrome had a task manager. Thanks for reminding me!

@Bob
As it stands now, with 26 tabs open 24/7, Chrome is eating up 1.7 Gb of my RAM :shock:
Chrome is fast, but memory hungry it seems lol.

Totally worth it IMHO. :)

I only had 4 tabs xD

I also wasn't aware they had a task manager, thanks ATM.

tha hell, using 2.2GB on youtube...

Since it was created, LOL? Being more serious, as you likely know, each tab is a separate process (for stability purposes) so that doesn't help things out much. FF seems to be the same way for me. And I haven't used IE in years so I cannot compare. But yeah, its a hog. But, unless you are looking, you wouldn't know it in most cases.

Since it was created, LOL? Being more serious, as you likely know, each tab is a separate process (for stability purposes) so that doesn't help things out much. FF seems to be the same way for me. And I haven't used IE in years so I cannot compare. But yeah, its a hog. But, unless you are looking, you wouldn't know it in most cases.

Just happened across it yesterday, don't normally have much of a reason to look at ram usage normally. Just struck me as odd for a moment, good to see its normal.

480'ish tabs open on Firefox. Sitting at around 1.4GiB of ram being used.

I've had it up to 720+ tabs open, and that was around 1.9GiB. I have seen it go over 2GiB with much, much less tabs, but that was usually the fault of Flash.

That site's just clickbait for the products they have a vested interest in. The 'reviews' mean nothing.

That site's just clickbait for the products they have a vested interest in. The 'reviews' mean nothing.

"Products" or product? They are competing products. What you say would only make sense of the review site had a vested interest in one of them.

You need to look at the site as a whole to get a grip of what it's really about - I honestly don't recommend giving them any more hits, if you can help it, it's hard enough keeping their clickbait SEO spammers out of forums as it is :bang head

Diversity of Firefox add-ons keeps people loyal to Firefox.
I don't know why Google doesn't pay-off every Firefox add-on creator to make a Chrome version because a lot of people don't want to switch to Chrome because all their add-ons are not available for Chrome and they are so used to having them on Firefox. Also : :D ... man,

Chrome installation is scary. They don't tell you what version the file you are installing is, if you as much as touch the installation file, it installs itself "everywhere" without asking basic questions like where you want it installed, if you want it installed, and it immediately starts phoning home. You uninstall Chrome and Google Update is still pinging your firewall trying to send data out of your system... We've been complaining about Firefox a lot lately but at least eventually you can customize Firefox to do whatever you want it to do...

There's a distinct feeling of losing all control after you launch that Google Chrome setup... they may as well display "You're Ours Now!" right after you launch it :)

Still would prefer Chrome over Firefox anyday. Even with the "phoning home" stuff.
Just that much faster and natural feeling to me.

But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks! :D

Chrome installation is scary. They don't tell you what version the file you are installing is, if you as much as touch the installation file, it installs itself "everywhere" without asking basic questions like where you want it installed, if you want it installed, and it immediately starts phoning home. You uninstall Chrome and Google Update is still pinging your firewall trying to send data out of your system... We've been complaining about Firefox a lot lately but at least eventually you can customize Firefox to do whatever you want it to do...

There's a distinct feeling of losing all control after you launch that Google Chrome setup... they may as well display "You're Ours Now!" right after you launch it

Removing Google's junk (IE Browser plugin, Google Earth, Google Update, Google Chrome) is akin to trying to remove viruses. If I had a dollar for every time I had to remove Google's stuff from a customer's system (when the customer didn't know how it got there, or didn't know it was there in the first place), I'd have quite a few dollars.

Wish they'd stop bundling their stuff with so many unrelated product installers, just because the software their bundling with is sponsored by them (or vice-verse).

There is a major DDR4 RAM glitch on brand new Galaxy S6 phones that chokes them, particularly if chrome is used.

So I made the switch over to Chrome after the last few Firefox just refuse to stay open and randomly crash after watching 1 or 2 streaming videos, and, it has all the same or nearly same plugins available for it as I use in Firefox.

Now I see why Chrome is a pig. Currently 195 tabs in Chrome and it's taking about..... 9.1GB of ram.

And with everything else I have running (except my VMs), I'm sitting around 19.4GB ram in use. Who says that 32GiB isn't necessary in a home/gaming system? :attn:

So I made the switch over to Chrome after the last few Firefox just refuse to stay open and randomly crash after watching 1 or 2 streaming videos, and, it has all the same or nearly same plugins available for it as I use in Firefox.

Now I see why Chrome is a pig. Currently 195 tabs in Chrome and it's taking about..... 9.1GB of ram.

And with everything else I have running (except my VMs), I'm sitting around 19.4GB ram in use. Who says that 32GiB isn't necessary in a home/gaming system? :attn:

:shock:

I'm more surprised at you two finding 195 tabs open in Chrome surprising (down from 300+ tabs mind you..), then the fact that Chrome, and Chrome alone is using up 9GB+ of ram for just that number of tabs.

Back