• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting Cable TV... need OTA TV advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Alright in the process of cutting the cord. Actually very close.
I got the services where I can get or use most content that I use to have via my cable channels. My only issue is OTA TV stations.

I'm in a condo (2 story with attic) but sit in a bad location nearly out of reach of most signals. I did manage a setup. I got an antenna in the attic, with a nice 4 way powered splitter upstairs (needed potentially 3 way split at the time).
From there I run a cable to my daughters room, and one to my bedroom. Intention was to add another to my sons room upstairs just to get TV signals without adding expensive cable boxes. Now currently I have cable on the main floor and basement TV's (3 in total). This is where the problem comes in. I do not have a good method to get the OTA signal to the main and basement floors. I have an old run, that goes from my bedroom to the basement and did try using that to connect the TV's in the rest of the house but I get about 1/3 of the channels. The thing is its the useless 1/3 of channels I get. I don't get any local news stations (ABC/Fox/NBC/CBS) none, which is a big problem for my wife (local weather concerns, etc)

Question is, would another high powered amplifier work for this case potentially from my bedroom to feed the cable downstairs to be split more? Or would a better solution be some type of solution where it would convert the data and go over Ethernet?

Just trying to get an idea if anyone else has experiences / issues and hopefully maybe some input solutions for it.

As for the cord cutting portion, I plan on using Roku 3 boxes on the TV's on the main floor, and Xbox for content in the basement. Upstairs TV's still just planning for the current setup of OTA. Oh and FYI getting into the attic and running more cabling is well.... not something I want to undertake again after my past experiences. Fainted a few times... gets to hot up their for the cramped space it is.

Need more info on your antenna setup. More specifically, how far are you from the transmitting towers, and what type and size of antenna(s) are you using.

If you do not know your location relative to the transmitters, goto http://www.antennaweb.org/, or http://www.receptionmaps.com/. It'll give you an idea of what channels you should be able to receive from your location, but of course that will depends on what kind of antenna you have.

An amplifier will not fix already poor reception of a channel and should be something that you add on after making sure you have a proper antenna in place and correctly pointing in the direction you need for the channels you want. It may only help in some cases of some fringe channels.

An amplifier is useful for multiple runs to multiple locations, as you have in your home, to ensure that each TV set gets a good signal, as a splitter reduces the signal strength for each and every split.

Yeah took a bit to find my setup but I'm anywhere from 29-51 miles for range on the towers. Downside is I can't have anything outside my house so I'm stuck with best option is in my attic. Second downside is that my house runs in the direction of the signals which is both from the east (main) and west (secondary) almost parallel to my unit within +/- 1 degree. So I have to go through others units to get a signal potentially.

This is the antenna I got below along with the amplified spliter.
http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Amplifie...&qid=1430258596&sr=8-17&keywords=HDTV+Antenna
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Sign...873&sr=8-3&keywords=power+amplifiers+motorola (something very similar)

I tried many antenna's and this was my most successful setup I had. Upstairs I do get signal on 2 TV's coming right off the amp and do get all the channels (weather permitting) majority of the time.
Just piping down to the rest of the house is the issue. I'm splitting 1 bedroom run to feed into the basement where I can run to the other TV's. That is where I'm loosing any hope I think of a signal. So I have 2 splitters, one upstairs going from a 1 to 2, which doesn't cause any issue for the TV in that room. And splitting again in the basement to feed the other 3 units. Though the basement one is of higher quaility, neither is powered. Guess the question would be if I had a powered splitter would it help keep the signal quality.

That antenna look "pretty", and I'm sure it works, but I doubt it would work as good as a Yagi antenna, which may be better for your situation if the towers are indeed located in opposite directions at a long distance and you cannot mount an antenna outside and high up. (2 Yagis, pointing in opposite directions towards each tower.)

Could you provide more information such as a zip code? I'd like to see how the towers are located in relation to your location. Also, any obstructions between the towers and your point of reception, like other homes, hills, large buildings or infrastructure like elevated freeways?

Yeah its a nice antenna. I tried 5 different types... and this got the most signals / clarity and it wasn't picky of placement which I'm very limited on. 53066 is my zip
For the towers in the east, yes tall buildings in Milwaukee / elevated free way and there should be hills in the way in my case. The signal Its up over a hill then down low. I sit around 870', few places inbetween me and the city go up to 980' then down where the signal is around 620'.

For the towers in the west, hills are blocking it which is about 30 some miles away. Probably some buildings no more than 4-8 stories tall. This isn't my ideal stations but I do pick up these as a bonus right now even though its further away. Elevations this way it goes up to 980' but where the towers are is around 850' elevation.

Like I mentioned I have no problem getting the signal to the 2 TV's right from the amplified splitter upstairs its the rest of the house. Just curious if spending money on another amplified splitter is worth it, or going with another means to get the signal downstairs.

The antenna you linked appears to have a built in amplifier, and you say you've added another on top of that. With so many obstructions, I'm surprised that antenna is your best option so far. It appears to be just a "bow tie" type antenna by it's shape, with no reflectors at all, which does mean that you would receive signals equally from both sides of it (perfect for you with East-West towers), but not as strong if it had a reflector (which would mean it would only receive strong signals from one direction and the need for a 2nd antenna pointed in the opposite direction if you wanted to view those channels as well).

More then likely, it is picking up a very weak signal, amplifying it, feeding it to your splitter which is further amplifying it, and then losing too much signal to noise, from the number of splits and the length of the cable runs. I don't think another amplifier would do much except *possibly* allow some fringe channels to come through, if at all. You're basically just amplifying a poor signal, which for digital TV, means not enough signal.

Before you spend any more money, can you take a TV up to your attic and connect it directly to the antenna with a short coaxial cable? This will remove the 2nd amp/splitter and cables runs from the equation so you can see how the antenna performs alone with its own built in amp. If there is any major improvement in the signal strength (many TVs have a way to check the signal strength of the channel, and of course, getting more channels is another indication of signal strength), then your problem may be either a coax line is bad, or the 2nd splitter/amp might not be working (a poor quality amp can make the signal worse instead of better). If there is no improvement at all compared to your current setup's best TV, then it's just the need of a better antenna for your setup.

One way to check if a better antenna is needed for your setup, is to tune into a fringe channel (one of those that constantly pixelates and/or cuts in/out), use a big sheet of aluminum foil, or any fairly flat metal item such as a cookie sheet (preferably something larger then your antenna), and hold it anywhere from around 1 to 3 inches behind and parallel to your antenna. If you lose the channel completely, try the opposite side of the antenna. If the signal improves, then this is a indication of the need for a better antenna, as the large metal surface acts as a reflector for the incoming signal and should boost it for the receiving elements. Of course, you'll need to play around with where you hold the ad-lib reflector (angle and distance relative to the antenna) to see if there is improvement.

Your location in relation to the towers alone puts you in the need of a good directional antenna. Add in all the obstructions you mention as well as a low antenna height placement, and the signal by the time it gets to you could be like trying to receive a signal twice as far. Milwaukee alone has all the major channels on UHF and is closest, so a single directional antenna should be all you really need. I just don't think your current antenna is pulling in enough of a signal, and without a good signal to start with, you can't improve on it by adding more amplifiers.

Actually wasn't using that amp since I had a higher powered / higher quality one that I was using for the distribution from the antenna to the house.

Like I mentioned before getting up into the attic is not something I can do easily. Its open insulation about 20" deep and low ceiling height of 4' from joists to top of roof in the high point. No way I'd be able to get a TV up there as I have had a hard enough time playing around in the attic when I only had 4" of insulation. Sadly the larger antenna you mentioned I would have a hard enough time fitting it even in the attic let alone pointing it in the right direction. If I had a different place I'd be more than happy to try something like that :) Just attic is defiantly not equipped to support a large item like that. Though curious if I could move the antenna to a slightly different spot if I would have better luck, just don't like going over that area since if I slip its a 20' drop to concrete compared to just a bedroom right below (not cool) as I'm not that nimble.

Though thanks for the tips on testing if I need to improve it any I'll know exactly what to do. I appreciate that and thank you very much for that.

Thankfully I think I solved my issue without spending a dime so far.
So upstairs I was using a cable to go through a wall via 2 wall plates (to make it look clean) well that wire was faulty. Removed that wire connected it up to the amp (that was supposed to be for the antenna) to the line coming from the attic and using a better but 4 way splitter (only need a 2 way). If I removed the amp I lost all channels downstairs but kept it still on the TV upstairs. So the signal is still strong just not strong enough for 2 large splitters. Anyways from there I was able to go from my 12 random channels to 48-57 channels with all the major ones. Few odd ones depending on the the TV so guessing I might have a slightly faulty cable that if I fix should eliminate the issue with the lesser channels on the one TV.

I'm happy I was able to find a box of better splitters and the amp to help complete my test at least.

Mpegger I do appreciate all the help/tips you gave. Gave me some insight as well gave the suggestions to a friend that is about to setup his place as well. Though thankfully he has a much larger attic and easier to access area to get an antenna.

I completely forgot about cables till you mentioned it now. If you don't already use it in your runs, RG6-Quad shielded cable is your best bet for minimal signal loss, especially with long runs. Home Depot has 100' of it for around $20, sans connectors which you would also need. At minimum, I'd run RG6Q from the antenna to the main splitter, and if you goto another splitter after as well. Personally, I only use RG6Q on all my runs.

Yeah I got a 250' spool of RG6Q last year when I did the antenna runs.

The cable that was bad, surprisingly was a cable I made. The connector on it was just bad and will look at fixing it but pulled it out of the circuit for right now.
Of course the one cable I'd love to re-run is the one I can't re-run anymore. Its tacked in the ceiling in places I can't access since I've done the the remodeling in my place. At the time it worked perfectly but I was feeding to the bedroom, not the other way around.

Oh well either way I managed to get it to work and happy for it.

Are you sure you legally are not permitted to have a outside antenna...They FCC has a rule for just that.

Its a 2 story condo complex. There is a section that limits the location of it to my personal space / aka my unit. If it extends into the common area its outside my area and is prohibited. That includes roof/walls/hanging off balcony or patio.

Originally we were was lax on some of these items. Allowing antenna's to be placed in the yards of area where there is limited traffic of people and mounting of houses. Since we got new siding there was some extra steps put into place to extend the life of the siding so no drilling of holes. Overall it is within the limits of the FCC regulations. I just prefer to not use my balcony (which again is almost in a tree blocking signal) and my patio (which is blocked by tall bushes and buildings).

Yup, sadly my building runs parallel to the signal, just ends up a little worse for me. Though having the amplifiers have helped me.
My main one in the attic before splitting into 2 rooms, then I have another one (that came with the antenna) that I use just prior to the splitter a bedroom to do the main run into the basement and to the other 3 TV's. Works out well just a few stations are brake out now and then but its expected in the area as others I know have the same issues with the same stations.

Just an off the wall idea, and I know a lot has been covered by what you're able to do, but a yagi is still a better bet. Maybe an HD home run to take OTA and use it as a network based TV tuner to limit cable runs?

What if you got a small yagi and mounted it outside of the house? Mount the bracket inside the rain gutter and sticking up out of the gutter? It's a wild idea and poses risks, but it reduces the effect of extra screw holes and allows more versatility.

Hey all......currently using an Antenna's Direct original Micron Amplified *without the reflector*
Gets good reception, am able to pick up almost all the channels in my area, though there is some interference due just all the bouncing of signals off of houses everywhere.
Also using it via a splitter to boost radio reception.
Setting up an array to cover OTA signals when I move out *again*
Was thinking of upgrading to this when I get my own place: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB8e-Ultra-Long-Range-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html
And to cover other signals, would use other antennae I already have.
Not trying to hijack this thread, just asking a related question instead of starting a separate OTA antennae thread.

Just an off the wall idea, and I know a lot has been covered by what you're able to do, but a yagi is still a better bet. Maybe an HD home run to take OTA and use it as a network based TV tuner to limit cable runs?

What if you got a small yagi and mounted it outside of the house? Mount the bracket inside the rain gutter and sticking up out of the gutter? It's a wild idea and poses risks, but it reduces the effect of extra screw holes and allows more versatility.

Can't have anything mounted on the outside of the unit, unless its on the patio. Which blocks any reception in the area.
Current setup is actually working great still. Just sucks I have to have 3 amps to power the system (1 attic, 1 MB that splits to feed basement split, 1 split that feeds the remainder TV's). I only have minor issues with a few channels here and there, but overall its been great, works well, couldn't be happier. Oh and considerably cheaper than Cable :)

Hey all......currently using an Antenna's Direct original Micron Amplified *without the reflector*
Gets good reception, am able to pick up almost all the channels in my area, though there is some interference due just all the bouncing of signals off of houses everywhere.
Also using it via a splitter to boost radio reception.
Setting up an array to cover OTA signals when I move out *again*
Was thinking of upgrading to this when I get my own place: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB8e-Ultra-Long-Range-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html
And to cover other signals, would use other antennae I already have.
Not trying to hijack this thread, just asking a related question instead of starting a separate OTA antennae thread.

If you can get an outdoor antenna that would be nice, especially if it has a decent mass or ontop of a garage/house. Most likely you won't have many issues with a setup like that.

I do have to say, that it is sorta funny to find that the 5.1 surround, for movies OTA in HD, works better than the movies put out on Uverse which my parents use downstairs.

Im using OTA TV, due to the fact my father will not pay an extra $7 a month for me to have a uverse box up here *which I would reimburse*. Oh well, no loss, better audio for me.

I went through a lot of this years ago and my setup's still working great.

Started at tvfool (don't see a mention of it here so thought I'd add it in).

I went with a nice roof-mount antenna but a lot of the attic ones are excellent. From there, ran the cable in to 3 silicondust homeruns (so 6 ota tuners) which are plugged into my switch. Took the cable lead coming into the house and connected it to an hdhomerunprime (the cablecard is something like $3/month), also plugged into the switch. The homeruns are all ip-addressable tuners so everything in the house with a computer, xbox, etc attached to it gets all OTA and cable channels.

As long as you have SOME signal, an amplifier can help a lot. The other thing that helps is to limit the number of splits. Going with a homerun might be a good option for you as you won't split your line but still have access to 2 tuners. If you are going to split the line, do it as far down the line as possible.

Back