• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd keyboard/mouse problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I've been having problems with my keyboard/mouse acting strange for the last couple of months, and I have no idea why its doing so. I had another thread with a different problem that seems to have been resolved (thread here) but I'm still having another issue within Windows.

Randomly, the keyboard will act as if the Ctrl key is stuck, and the mouse wheel is moving. This is apparent when the pointer is left on the desktop or in the web browser (desktop icons or web page gets smaller). I've had it happen while at the PC and have disconnected the USB mouse when it occurs, but I could still see that the web page was getting smaller, so it doesn't appear to be a mouse issue. I doubt disconnecting the keyboard would do anything either as I have continually pressed the Ctrl key when it happens. Sometimes it stops happening, other times it continues till it stops on its own. It been happening with the stock Windows keyboard driver and the Logitech driver.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this?:confused:

I'll try that and see what happens. As the issue is random, I never know when it'll happen.

How many USB devices do you have plugged in? What are they?

Have you tried rolling Windows back to time that predates the problem? Microsoft has been pushing a lot of buggy patches and updates lately. I had a customer the other day whose laptop's keyboard and touch pad function would drop out as soon as the Windows log in screen loaded. And this happened immediately after the patch Tuesday updates. I rolled it back to Monday and the problem disappeared.

How many USB devices do you have plugged in? What are they?
You asked that in the other thread. :p

It's the same number of devices, none of which is overloading any of the USB ports, as I do use powered hubs for some of the devices, if that's why you are asking.

You got me thinking though. None of these problems appeared to start happening till I upgrade the to i7 4790k from a i7 980x. I also have problems with the Intel USB3 ports and my USB3 hard drive dock. It refuses to see the dock when I use the Intel USB3 ports, but it works just fine if I use the ASMedia USB3 ports. The mouse and keyboard are using the Intel USB2 ports. Maybe it's a Intel chipset driver issue? If it is, I dread the idea of having to uninstall and reinstall various driver versions to try and track down a random gremlin. :bang head

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried rolling Windows back to time that predates the problem? Microsoft has been pushing a lot of buggy patches and updates lately. I had a customer the other day whose laptop's keyboard and touch pad function would drop out as soon as the Windows log in screen loaded. And this happened immediately after the patch Tuesday updates. I rolled it back to Monday and the problem disappeared.

It may have been. As the computer was working fine for quite some time (other then not staying asleep when I put it to sleep), but I can't be sure. I cannot recall exactly when it started happening, and wouldn't know for sure when it started since I never power down or log off my PC. It's very random, and it can go days or even weeks without the problem and then suddenly it happens. Much like my 2nd monitor which will randomly go to a black screen for less then a second, as if it lost the signal.

Sorry, I'm not digging up the other thread. Can you list them again?

Sorry, I'm not digging up the other thread. Can you list them again?
I had it linked in the OP, but here it is again.

G700 mouse, Logitech Wave keyboard, both with their respective Logitech software/driver installed (I do make use of the macro capabilities) and connected directly to the motherboard via the USB2 ports (the recommended ports).
2-port hub and card reader on my monitor, with a USB mic attached (uses stock Windows drivers, and was added in long after this problem was occurring).
4-Port Hub, with my printer (stock Windows drivers), Logitech G13 (Logitech drivers/software), USB-UIRT (with respective drivers), Wacom Bamboo pad (with respective drivers).
NVidia 3D emitter
APC UPS (I use the APC monitor software to track power usage and any faults)
And a XBox 360 controller.

I had it linked in the OP, but here it is again.

G700 mouse, Logitech Wave keyboard, both with their respective Logitech software/driver installed (I do make use of the macro capabilities) and connected directly to the motherboard via the USB2 ports (the recommended ports).
2-port hub and card reader on my monitor, with a USB mic attached (uses stock Windows drivers, and was added in long after this problem was occurring).
4-Port Hub, with my printer (stock Windows drivers), Logitech G13 (Logitech drivers/software), USB-UIRT (with respective drivers), Wacom Bamboo pad (with respective drivers).
NVidia 3D emitter
APC UPS (I use the APC monitor software to track power usage and any faults)
And a XBox 360 controller.

My fault, I missed that link earlier while I was on the app.

So, from what I see, you have a lot of bandwidth taken up. The G700, G13, and Wacom all take a ton of resources.
You'll need to keep those spread out among the different controllers on the motherboard to keep them all happy.

There is only the Intel and ASMedia controllers on the board, with the Intel having by far the majority of the ports on this motherboard. I'll take off the Wacom since I hardly use it, and throttle down the G700 from 500 to 250Hz, as those two as on the Intel ports, and see what happens.

Use USB View to see how well things are balanced out, it helped me out a while back.

or just switch the peripherals on the controllers and you don't have to adjust anything else? 6 of one, half dozen of the other I suppose. ;)

If I'm reading the manual correctly, the ASMedia is there for 2 USB3 port. The Intel is running 6 USB2, and 6 USB3 ports. Kinda hard to balance everything around that lopsided setup. :beer:

I'll give USBView a whirl later on and see what it shows.

Tiny update: So far, I have not experienced either issue again, and I have rebooted a good number of times to test the login issue (hot days, efficient heat transfer from my PC = hotter room). I think it may have been the Wacom tablet that was causing the issue. It can emulate both a mouse and keyboard, which could cause either issue. The drivers are still installed for the Wacom, but it hasn't been plugged in since then. I did not move any USB devices around either.

Back