• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overvolting titan x through nvidiamaxwell editor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All the others I have seen default to 1.274, dont know why yours is 1.268. If there is no software active...then that is something different with your gpu. Was your stock voltage 1.169?

hey man i tried this . apparantly with a 1.2 on the p02 and p0 maxes me out at 1.268 with 106 mv . heres why it was instantly crashing if increased to 112 . the gpu was being boosted up to 1600 mhz for some reason :/
I put 0 on the core and memory and with no overclocking at all i was at a min clock of 1392 in heaven . i added 85 + on the core and 450 on the mem . that pushed me to 1472 with 1.274 . i will run heaven and see if it validates

hey man i tried this . apparantly with a 1.2 on the p02 and p0 maxes me out at 1.268 with 106 mv . heres why it was instantly crashing if increased to 112 . the gpu was being boosted up to 1600 mhz for some reason :/
I put 0 on the core and memory and with no overclocking at all i was at a min clock of 1392 in heaven . i added 85 + on the core and 450 on the mem . that pushed me to 1472 with 1.274 . i will run heaven and see if it validates

any time you increase the voltage, the gpu will climb the boost table and increase core speed accordingly, that is normal. you have to increase the voltage first, see what clock is at/changed to, then add to core speed. btw, your gpuz sensor tab is what you should always use to check core speed (with kboost enabled, or use gpuz load to see top speed.

Yes. ill do 6 runs of heaven and see if it passes . This is the third run now
I hoped to hit 1500 mhz but itlooks like I'm out of luck

rge,

Can you mod this bios ( asus ) to have a TDP of 500w?

I'm not sure what's going on but any bios I try to make, even the slighest change like upping a little bit the boost clock will make nvidia driver crash when loading windows.

An odd thing that I notice is that this bios is smaller than then ones I see from other makers.

Attachments

• GM200_orig.zip
    149.3 KB · Views: 17
mademax, earlier in the thread Mikesama posted another asus bios, same name as yours, but his was the same file size as all the other brand titanx bios and another asus I saw elsewhere. Your asus bios is small like you said, and smaller than other asus bios with same name, version, device ID, which makes me think yours may have an issue. I wouldnt flash/edit a bios that had wrong file size.

Do you have any other saves of your original bios?

As for the power, the hard max on the card is 400 watts, so most just raise the target to above 400, like 425, and then you will be at max. If you get a non-screwed up bios I can edit the power table...basically like pic below:
First set in power table is tdp, anything above 400 will work same, since hard max is 400.
-Third set of limits is pcie slot, and dont go above max if raising.
-The pcie slot limits, pcie 6 pin, and 8 pin connectors limits added together need to equal atleast same as TDP/power limits, I just kept ratios roughly the same.
-power limits, like TDP, need to be raised to atleast 400w. There is a bug if you set last power limits default max to same, why I set tdp, and then last power limits are slighty different, but just over 400.
-if you want to use the power slider you can set default power limits lower than max (400W). If you want to make the power slider irrelevant, ie dont need it, than you set default to atleast 400W. The way I have mine set up in pic below, mine cant throttle unless it hits hard limits 400W...and slider is useless/irrelevant. If you set to 500, it would be no different than 400, or anything above 400.

powertx.jpg

I got this bios by saving it with gpu-z 1.82. Maybe there is some issue with gpu-z? anyway, it's the bios I am currently running and it works as it should. I tried flashing other bios that I found around the net and they all work, it's just that when I change something with MBT 1.36 and flash that bios the nvidia driver will bsod. I thought that maybe MBT was not 100% compatible with the titanx bios or something. I'll try to find Mikesama original bios and start from that one.

thanks!

The onboard gpu controller, NCP81174, controls voltage/power limits, both can be changed in bios up to the limits it allows. You can use furmark (if on water and can keep temps low to no throttle via temps) to force enough wattage to throttle via power, then manipulate bios power settings and see when elevating them no longer affects throttling, it is just under/at 400w mark.

You can get around these hard limits by soldering shunt resistors on the NPC81174, but that is only necessary when hard modding voltage higher (and replacing vrms to handle higher specs). The voltage is maxed at 1.274 (without hard modding) so you wont reach 400W limit in any game or any benchmark I have seen/used even running at full 1.274v at max core/mem speed.

Here is some guides describing how to mod around hard limits, though realize you were just curious about the limits....they give a detailed explanation.
http://overclocking.guide/nvidia-gtx-titan-x-external-power-guide/
http://overclocking.guide/increase-the-nvidia-power-limit-all-cards/

Limit is simple to count.

Basic version looks like this:
6 pin = 75W
8 pin = 150W
PCIe = 75W

In real 6 pin = 8 pin so unlocking all limits in BIOS while using good single rail 12V PSU will probably let you raise limit to 375W. These cards will never reach it on air/water and probably also on better cooling.

Software on Maxwell is always showing max ~1.27V. In real on some cards voltage can go higher and it depends from card's design. Titans are all reference/nearly reference so it won't change much but on GTX970 I saw 1.31V max after BIOS mod. The only issue was that card wasn't scalling good above 1.28V and at 1.3V+ had stability issues. I bet that something similar is on Titans.

Raising power limits may raise max boost clock. Also raising voltage may raise boost clock. Depends from ASIC and some other things it may go above stability limit. Sometimes clock is only going to the max for short period of time but it's enough to cause freeze or driver crash.
Usually higher card series = higher max boost.

yep, some cards go to 1.31v despite software reading, unfortunately titan x isnt one of them...wish it did for benching. The power and ocing scaled up to 1.27v bios setting, then scaling stops there, which hinted at 1.27v lock before I confirmed with digital mm. I spent 2 days flashing different bios made by myself and others on Oc.net, and despite voltage set at 1.31, 1.35v, etc, all were max 1.274-1.275 by fluke digital mm. Here is pic I posted there.
voltagepic.jpg

rge,

I was able to make a decent bios that is working well for me. Now I just need to tweak it to have the right overclock for my card backed in. I still don't know how far it can go.

The problem I was having was related to certain values in the TDP boxes that make the driver crash.

Anyway, for me, the TDP that allows me to overcome furmark TDP throttling is 510w. anything lower and GPU-Z will log throttle events.

furmark is run as follows: windowed 1280x720, xtreme burnin ticked ( plus the default ones ) and anti-aliasing off. With these settings and the bios attached I get around 96-98% TDP power consumption. If furmark settings are different ( for instance xtreme burnin is not ticked ) TDP % will be lower.

A doubt that I still have is: is there any difference in setting max voltage = 1275 or 1281.3 in bios ? the real voltage values of 1275 and 1281.3 as read by a multimeter are equal ?

Thanks for helping me out!! :D

Attachments

• GM200_v15.zip
    149.7 KB · Views: 25
yeah that tdp bug was annoying on one of mine as well...

interesting with the furmark, dont know what to make of that.

unfortunately, 1.275 in bios, i didnt try. What i can tell you is what was set in bios, the voltage was slightly higher with dmm. for example 1.218 in bios was 1.221 via fluke multimeter, 1.224 via gpuz. I can tell you 100% that 1.281 reads max 1.274-1.275. Anything above including 1.3 to 1.5 was still 1.274, and messing with 74 clk sliders volts was useless except for some amusing bugs.

But yeah cant be 100% sure, never used 1.275 in bios...but best guess is they would be same, since few volts I checked below 1.275 read just above bios level via dmm.

Back