• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build (FX-9590) PSU Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JMB3

So I made the mistake of buying a new rig on impulse. After making said purchase I realized that the CPU I’m now the proud owner of runs literally hotter than the surface of the sun and that it is a 220W proc. Fail, yes I know… According to HWMonitor the temperature thing is under control but any attempt to run the proc at the advertised 5GHz results in the system locking up so I’m pretty much stuck at 4.7GHz. My theory is power (admittedly it’s more like a guess). My question to the forum - based on the components below how far off am I w/ a 650W PSU?

Motherboard -> ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CPU -> FX-9590
CPU Cooler -> SWIFTECH H220-X
MEMORY -> CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB 3X4 D3 1600
POWER SUPPLY -> XFX XXX Edition 650W
VIDEO CARD -> 1x ASUSCOMP STRIX GTX970OC 4GB DDHDP
HDDs/Optical drives -> 128GB OCZ-Agility3 (OS) / 600GB WD VelociRaptor (everything else)
O/S -> Win7 Ultimate SP1
Case/FANS -> CORSAIR GRAPHITE760T / 5x CORSAIR AF140

Any advise would be appreicated.

JMB3

That PSU was halfway decent five years ago when it came out. How old is yours?

What are you doing while watching HWMonitor, stress testing? Can you post a pic of your temps while Prime95 is running?

I got it right around 5 years ago.

I was using the AMD OverDrive Stability test to put load on the box and I ran it for an hour. Don't have Prime95 installed but I'll install it and post screenshot.

Thanks

JMB3

Probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to replace it at 5 years of age.

If you want a top-shelf PSU, grab an EVGA SuperNova G2.
750W would be overkill, but would allow you to add a second 970 and still have plenty of headroom.

Whether or not this is the issue, it'd be worth the peace of mind to me to have a 10 year warranty PSU in my system.

Prime95 pretty much cooked it after 15 minutes, see attached. The other test didn't even come close to that...

Thanks,

JMB3

Attachments

• HWMonitor.png
    HWMonitor.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 49
Looks like you got an erroneous maximum package temperature, but that did heat up decently.
Can you post a picture of the inside of your case? Just trying to gauge your cable management.

I'll put the EVGA on the short list.

The pic is attached but if you need a different angle or something i can re-do it.

Thanks,

JMB3

Attachments

• z2015430_090538.jpg
    z2015430_090538.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 56
You have weird airflow patterns...

1. The bottom is exhaust.
2. The rear is intake
3. The top is?
4. Is there any fans on the front? If so what are they doing?

A. I would have the bottom fan blowing in.
B. The rear fans, why you have them sandwiched I don't know, but have them exhaust as well.

You have weird airflow patterns...

1. The bottom is exhaust.
2. The rear is intake
3. The top is?
4. Is there any fans on the front? If so what are they doing?

A. I would have the bottom fan blowing in.
B. The rear fans, why you have them sandwiched I don't know, but have them exhaust as well.

This all +1.

Front and bottom = intake, rear and top = exhaust.
Don't bother with sandwiching the fans.

This all +1.

Front and bottom = intake, rear and top = exhaust.
Don't bother with sandwiching the fans.

Agreed, the airflow is weird… so here’s what I have and where:

2x fans (push/pull) in the back blowing air into the case. I did this because I figured blowing cool air directly on/over should be a good thing. Does stacking them like that not improve airflow?

The radiator is on top also setup as intake.

2x fans in front as exhaust.

1x fan on the bottom also as exhaust, I was going to change this to intake but there’s no screen or filter cover on this part of the case. I assume you’d want that on an intake fan on the bottom of the case?

For what it’s worth changing the airflow did have a positive impact on the core temps and what not by about 5 degrees or so.

Thanks,

JMB3

1. It improves airflow, sure, but, Id just use one fan personally.
2. An exhaust in the front is counter intuitive. Airflow should go front to back bottom to top* (*in most cases).
3. Yes, that bottom fan should be an intake.

If you are after every single degree C, then getting the coolest air to the cooler is key. That said, you aren't after every degree C and for you, its best to have better airFLOW through the case and other components.

Just to make sure I understood, you switched from what you had to what we suggested and temps are 5°C better?

Just to make sure I understood, you switched from what you had to what we suggested and temps are 5°C better?

Not exactly. When I first did the build I had the airflow the way you guys suggested other than the fan on the bottom. Switching it to the way it is got the temps down.

Thanks,

JMB3

Particularly with your AMD FX9xxx processor you want superior case airflow. Those things really stress out motherboards so you want to keep the socket and VRM area cool. Blowing warmer air down onto the board for the sake of cooler CPU temps will have its limits.

If you had 2x intake and 4x exhaust when you first built it that would be a pretty big imbalance and would hinder flow.

Hmm, ok that’s a good point about blowing air down on the board.

As far as the 2x intake 4x exhaust hindering air flow I assumed they’d be working in series not against each other.

Based on the last 2 posts it looks like the consensus view is that I need to flip the radiator and the fans in the back of the case to exhaust. Then move the bottom and front fans to intake? That would give me 2x120’s (radiator) and 2x140’s for exhaust and 3x140’s for intake. The bottom opening in the case that the fan is sitting on doesn’t have a filter or screen of any kind so I’ll see what I can rig up to avoid pulling particulate in off the floor/stand and so on.

Again, thanks to you both for all the help.

JMB3

Where is your second 140 for exhaust... or are you still stacking the two on the rear?

As far as the fans 'working against each other'. That really isn't true. Well, it is, but it would hardly be measureable. Remember a PC case is not sealed so it will get its air, no problems.

It isn't working against each other, it just isn't pulling air through a good path by having the imbalance you had before.

JBM3, your temps aren't all that terrible for a Fx 9590 at least you have a good heatsink on it. I agree with ED and Atmin on changing your airflow around. Another thing that a lot of us running these Fx 8xxx/9xxx chips do get the Cpu temp down is put fans on the Vrm heatsink and on the backside of the motherboard. You can use double sided tape to mount the fans on both the Vrm heatsink and the backside of the motherboard. If you do this, most of the time your Cpu temp will be around 8-10c higher then the Package temp, as opposed to the +18c yours is now.

Last edited:
Back