• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken CPU pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I just won a Ebay auction for a Phenom II X6 1100T (for an awesome price). But this buy is a known gamble. The CPU is untested because of bent pins and one missing pin.

I was wondering if any one has had any success repairing a broken pin? Or any other ideas on a work around.

I have decent soldering skills but afraid the heat could kill the chip. Or could I sorta coppy Intel's LGA and put a wire into the corresponding hole and hope it makes contact?? I have a number of old dead/obsolete CPU's i could get a gold pin from or would a copper wire be fine. (Copper wire being easer to manipulate).

Anyway any ideas or advise would be great.

depending on the pin it might not even need it could just be a ground or power pin that the chip has several of :) you have a pic from the ebay listing i bet we could figure out what pin it is.

Just straighten the bent pins and test it.
Who knows, it may work just fine.

Well it is not the best picture, but it is good enough to see the missing pin. Across from the arrow above the "void"

pin.JPG

That chip has seen better days :shock:

Bend back the pins like ATM said and hope for the best.
Test it in a mobo you don't care about to be safe. Then run prime95 on it @ stock clocks.

If it passes, sweet deal! :)

$52 -- Good if it works (based on what others have sold for)..... Touch frustrating if it does not. But no risk no reward.

Yeah, that's a good deal for sure.

Found the listing on eBay where you bought yours, it's definitely fixable pending the broken pin not being necessary.
Just take your time and don't bend back past center. Using a credit card can make this easier.

If you're missing a pin what can and will work is a piece of telephone wire stripped and cut just a bit long. Put it in the appropriate hole in the socket and it should make contact.

Or could I sorta coppy Intel's LGA and put a wire into the corresponding hole and hope it makes contact?? I have a number of old dead/obsolete CPU's i could get a gold pin from or would a copper wire be fine. (Copper wire being easer to manipulate).

If it doesn't work as is, this is how I would go about trying to fix it.
Setting a wire into the pinhole where it's supposed to go and trying it that way would be the easiest and probrably the best way to do it.

I spent nearly 3 hours meticulously straightening the pins - yet still one more pin broke💀. (Any work I do at home is slowed do to my pimary job - stay at home dad - I must play with my 3 year old🙈🙉 ) Thankfully both busted pins were in very easy to identify spots. I first tried simple copper wire. Nope, fans spun but nothing else. As I sit refusing to give up, I spy an old socket A Athlon CPU❗ EUREKA. I shave some of the pins of the old CPU - leaving the small solder nub. That was the key. Reset the 1100T, hit power, a few tence seconds pass then I hear the desired happy "beep"😅. The 1100T lives!!

While I have yet to extensively test CPU for stability, it seems to work as it should. 3422MHz (Slight OC)
🔷🔷 only one small issue: I cant seem to get any monitoring software to show a temperature for any core?? The BIOS gives a temp... I've tried CUPID HWMoniter, & Core Temp. Any suggestions?

I spent nearly 3 hours meticulously straightening the pins - yet still one more pin broke��. (Any work I do at home is slowed do to my pimary job - stay at home dad - I must play with my 3 year old���� ) Thankfully both busted pins were in very easy to identify spots. I first tried simple copper wire. Nope, fans spun but nothing else. As I sit refusing to give up, I spy an old socket A Athlon CPU❗ EUREKA. I shave some of the pins of the old CPU - leaving the small solder nub. That was the key. Reset the 1100T, hit power, a few tence seconds pass then I hear the desired happy "beep"��. The 1100T lives!!

While I have yet to extensively test CPU for stability, it seems to work as it should. 3422MHz (Slight OC)
���� only one small issue: I cant seem to get any monitoring software to show a temperature for any core?? The BIOS gives a temp... I've tried CUPID HWMoniter, & Core Temp. Any suggestions?
Good news!!! Do you have core un-locker enabled or something similar in the BIOS? If so set it to Disabled, as there are no cores to be un locked on the 1100T. This should allow Hwmonitor to read the temps.

Ok BIOS update to the Beta fixed the temp problem. Now I need to figure out witch monitoring program is the most accurate. HWMoniter, & Core Temp. are showing temps that are about 20° apart?

Either way I am so happy I was able to get this CPU to work.

Is that your cat in your computer? It's bizarre the affinity cats have for computers and electronics. Fans, soldering all of it seems to fascinate them, even if you don't want it to.

I remember one time I was playing Unreal 2 and my cat was bothered by the movements of the aliens on the screen jumped up and began batting at the screen. Then there's the fascination w/spinning fans and sometimes dangerously fast spinning fans. There's nothing more fun than having a cat surprise you while a system is running and you have 5000 RPM fans in front of your face or near your fingers. Although the worst was when I was under my car tightening a bolt and I felt something fuzzy silently brush against my leg and I couldn't look to see what the hell it was until it was right up next to my face, luckily it turned out to be a neighbor's curious cat because my efforts to quickly squirm out from under my car weren't working out.

Back