• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's only 4GHZ if the board is already throttling then it is not a board you want to OC with. Honestly it is hard from the screen shots to say what's up but I did notice, like RGONE the VDroop or at least the possibility of it from this screen shot above. Hopefully that is c & c or some other green stuff working in the background that hasn't been turned off.

Yepper when a core hits 3400 like that it's definitely throttling. I'd check for APM and HPC and make sure they are enabled

Hey guys...

...WhitehawkEQ did in fact buy the R5 against all suggestions...so let us just leave this thread for him and the board. I tried very hard to not say anything that reflected on WhitehawkEQ's purchase of the board when telling S_P he needs to go with a current known setup if he wants to really overclock. The four screenies taken with P95 running and HWMonitor running in the background is a BIG tool for seeing into a case way off from our own keyboard. I see what I see when looking at those posted for R5. I have not changed my mind about the board. BUT we probably should leave WhitehawkEQ to his thread in case in 'might' feel like updating. Just me thinking out loud sort of. YMMV.

RGone...

...WhitehawkEQ did in fact buy the R5 against all suggestions...so let us just leave this thread for him and the board. I tried very hard to not say anything that reflected on WhitehawkEQ's purchase of the board when telling S_P he needs to go with a current known setup if he wants to really overclock. The four screenies taken with P95 running and HWMonitor running in the background is a BIG tool for seeing into a case way off from our own keyboard. I see what I see when looking at those posted for R5. I have not changed my mind about the board. BUT we probably should leave WhitehawkEQ to his thread in case in 'might' feel like updating. Just me thinking out loud sort of. YMMV.

RGone...

The joys of being the guinea pig. Much as me with the fatlady killer. It should be taken objectively without any bias of "hurting ones feelings", as its a reflection of the board, not the person using it.

Seems like theres plenty of room to tweak there, lets give it a moment before we jump to conclusions.

Yes, sorry about the slight thread jack Whitehawk :(
Hehehe np, I welcome the input, I'm still playing with the settings and what Johan said about APM and HPC will help when I take a look at it again.
Testing it at stock speed now will help get it stable for when I OC it if I want to later.

Can you find your pstate at stock volts and run it at that? Would give us a better idea of what's going on

For me this is a totally pointless product. Barely anyone needs it and barely anyone wants it.
The biggest problem with Gigabyte AMD boards is that they never make it right. There is good marketing around pretty average or below average boards. Somehow their Intel boards are much better designed and tested. They also have much longer support.
GB tells you that all is fine with their AMD boards while they already make new revision so if you want to have improved product then buy another one.

I'm getting to old for this :) I enabled HPC, APM was already enabled and it helped a lot, I got a screen shot of HWM and Prime but forgot to save to HDD before I turned off the PC :rofl:

Nice, glad I could be of assistance. Are you getting that double boot thing?
EDIT: just remembered you said it was stock so that won't be an issue. If it starts to do it when you OC set the turbo speed to your OC speed and it should stop.

Last edited:
Nice, glad I could be of assistance. Are you getting that double boot thing?

No, but my Saberkitty is worse than the R5, yes I have a Sabertooth 990FX board, I have APM and HPC enabled on it but it's really bad. Core speed on all cores drops to 2800MHZ then back up, also the CPU is overclock to 3.6GHZ but at idle runs at 3.4GHZ :screwy:

Oh, Sabertooth 990FX + FX8120

No, but my Saberkitty is worse than the R5, yes I have a Sabertooth 990FX board, I have APM and HPC enabled on it but it's really bad. Core speed on all cores drops to 2800MHZ then back up, also the CPU is overclock to 3.6GHZ but at idle runs at 3.4GHZ :screwy:

Oh, Sabertooth 990FX + FX8120

There has to be some issue going on with a BIOS setting or something. I have a first generation Sabertooth and it is an overclockers dream just like the R2 which I also have.

On, Off make up your mind :rofl: Now you say turn it off on kitty. Ok I'll try that and see what pops.

I never remember anyone suggesting keeping Application Power Management enabled when you are overclocking.

Last edited:
Giga on and Sabo off , just the way it is. Bios is bios

Giga on and Sabo off , just the way it is. Bios is bios

And you know if you don't remember that stuff...well often you just go round and around.

I learned this a long time ago now. Motherboard engineers cannot leave shett alone...even if it works. They have to put "their" signature on it.

RGone...

Last edited:
Back