• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Caution...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

hey, I got a western digital 2gb drive that is starting to give me a caution on the health status...
smart caution.JPG
sadly, the drive is out of warranty, just wondering if anyone has any guesses to how much time the drive has left?
wouldnt keep any essential data on it, but it would still be good for dvd rips streamed to the media player, 2tb is a lot of space to be losing!

Could be months... could be hours..

Get the data off asap.

OR

Be like me and risk it, backup very often and just watch to see if that value increases.
My WD ERZX has one reallocated sector. That was a year ago and it's still gong strong.
However, the ERZX I have is no longer part of my RAID array so it sits idle all day...

no critical data is on it, just dvd rips, which can be ripped again if necessary.
i wonder why it hasn't reallocated sectors on this drive, you'd think if it couldnt correct the sectors it would reallocate them

no critical data is on it, just dvd rips, which can be ripped again if necessary.
i wonder why it hasn't reallocated sectors on this drive, you'd think if it couldnt correct the sectors it would reallocate them

This must be done offline. IE no OS loaded, no lock on the drive IIRC.
Either that or the bad sector must be used. Then the drive is forced to re-allocate a spare.

In my case my drive finally re-mapped a spare after a hard disk surface scan.

There's a quota for reallocated sectors. It must have already been exceeded.

Five years ago from the XP machine in my sig. YMMV of course,
no guarantees on this stuff.

untitled.JPG

Rolling, how much use has that XP machine seen since that screenie was taken?

Rolling, how much use has that XP machine seen since that screenie was taken?

Trents,

It's a daily working machine, light duty, no bitcoin, folding, (MS Word, Excel, Canon photos, Alpha 4 database,
Epson scanner, etc.). No Internet due to the insecurity of IE8, the latest compatible version. I leave it on all
the time and did run my Spinrite V6 on it to isolate a few bad sectors when drive was relatively new (3 months old).

I was going to return the drive per WD approved warranty but kept it instead just to see what would happen.
There has been no change since running Spinrite to isolate the bad sectors near the 80% area of the drive.
Drive is 25% full including the OS.

Trents,

It's a daily working machine, light duty, no bitcoin, folding, (MS Word, Excel, Canon photos, Alpha 4 database,
Epson scanner, etc.). No Internet due to the insecurity of IE8, the latest compatible version. I leave it on all
the time and did run my Spinrite V6 on it to isolate a few bad sectors when drive was relatively new (3 months old).

I was going to return the drive per WD approved warranty but kept it instead just to see what would happen.
There has been no change since running Spinrite to isolate the bad sectors near the 80% area of the drive.
Drive is 25% full including the OS.

Could you use an alternative browser to get around that? Most of the other major browsers' still work with XP as far as I know.

Could you use an alternative browser to get around that? Most of the other major browsers' still work with XP as far as I know.

Trents,

It's a matter of choice and not necessity, the XP machine doesn't need to access
the Internet for my general use, this Vista machine (soon to be W 8.1) with Firefox
is used for that. The XP machine is kept active for older software that's not
compatible with any Windows OS later than XP.

Back