• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer Bench off???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Exactly the points I made Dejo! :)

But gpu clock limits for 3d comps would only be worth it if we were all using the same card and going for tweaks only. So that seems a bit difficult to do. CPUs... all day long.

If we're going with these kind of restrictions then I'll go with strictly CPU benches. Maybe a totaal over a fer of the low time benches. Then maybe a high total from others. Use something like HWInfo for clock monitoring. Saves any questions about cheating. Might hurt scores a bit.

If we're going with these kind of restrictions then I'll go with strictly CPU benches. Maybe a totaal over a fer of the low time benches. Then maybe a high total from others. Use something like HWInfo for clock monitoring. Saves any questions about cheating. Might hurt scores a bit.
I think going strictly 2d is a good idea. I found when we did the Super Pi challenge in December for example, that I really worked on the bench and my hardware to get the best time I could.

I won't be competing,

however looking at this from the cheap seats not allowing win 8 will be a mistake if you are shooting for maximum participation

When you limit CPU clock then cooling won't affect results much. In most cases you barely see any difference going from air to LN2 when CPU clock is ~4GHz. I just wouldn't worry that someone may "cheat". Really weird results will be easy to see.

On GPU clock limit has no point as I doubt we will make competition on the same GPUs. Simply most of us won't buy graphics card for one competition.

I don't think there has to be any memory clock limit as all have different memory and lowering clock too much is lowering chances of users who have new IC like hynix mfr/bfr etc. ( most newer members will probably use new memory ). Still that IC which can make high clocks like 3000+ is performing as good as IC which can make 2133 but runs at tighter timings.
In this case I think that memory settings would be like tweaks. There is no clear answer what will be best for each memory kit in each benchmark so all will have to try to adjust settings for optimal performance.
Also here it's obvious that noone will run memory @2666+ CL6/7 or 3000+ CL9/10 on air ( can run Hynix DDR4 @3000 CL10 ~1.7V but nothing else ).

I would stick to popular benchmarks but not these "made" by hwbot which require any online submissions. Also newer benchmarks like Cinebench are more popular as I see and many users like them.

Also like Witchy said, Win8 should be allowed as all this clock error is not affecting scores of most tests and in some is barely affecting final score. Still most users who bought PC in last 1-2 years have Win8. Not all get 2-3 different OS for benching.

Last edited:
When you limit CPU clock then cooling won't affect results much. In most cases you barely see any difference going from air to LN2 when CPU clock is ~4GHz. I just wouldn't worry that someone may "cheat". Really weird results will be easy to see.

On GPU clock limit has no point as I doubt we will make competition on the same GPUs. Simply most of us won't buy graphics card for one competition.

I don't think there has to be any memory clock limit as all have different memory and lowering clock too much is lowering chances of users who have new IC like hynix mfr/bfr etc. ( most newer members will probably use new memory ). Still that IC which can make high clocks like 3000+ is performing as good as IC which can make 2133 but runs at tighter timings.
In this case I think that memory settings would be like tweaks. There is no clear answer what will be best for each memory kit in each benchmark so all will have to try to adjust settings for optimal performance.
Also here it's obvious that noone will run memory @2666+ CL6/7 or 3000+ CL9/10 on air ( can run Hynix DDR4 @3000 CL10 but nothing else ).

I would stick to popular benchmarks but not these "made" by hwbot which require any online submissions. Also newer benchmarks like Cinebench are more popular as I see and many users like them.

Also like Witchy said, Win8 should be allowed as all this clock error is not affecting scores of most tests and in some is barely affecting final score. Still most users who bought PC in last 1-2 years have Win8. Not all get 2-3 different OS for benching.

:thup::cheers:

Also here it's obvious that noone will run memory @2666+ CL6/7 or 3000+ CL9/10 on air ( can run Hynix DDR4 @3000 CL10 ~1.7V but nothing else ).

Some good points there Woomack. I wasn't too worried about memory, most users it'll be pretty average stuff and I don't know of anyone here who overclocks it cold. I've thought about it though :chair: And yes I'm thinking that 4.0 is a good cut off point for clocks , unless you think it shoulb be lower. Most chips over the last few years will hit that clock easily.
I have also thought about a core limit, what do you think ? Or a score per core average like we see in a lot of comps on the bot these days. It takes away the 16 thread advantage of some chips in multithreaded benches.

Per core thing sounds good with hyper pi. I can't think of another bench that shows per core times/Scores though.

4ghz is stock for some cpus! Lol! No way should we go lower! 4.5ghz is in my head. At least make people adjust voltage! Hehe

Won't be a big deal to get the score per core and both cinebench have a single core option. Could even run WPrime on one core. Now that would be lame. Who knows what I might come up with :shrug:

Looks good man.
:rofl:

1. Ambient cooling only (air/water, no chilled water)
2. Perhaps set clock limits on CPU benchmarks to promote tweaking among the team.
3. Submissions must follow Hwbot rules, period. This is for new people to get used to the format as I see some new people have trouble with posting correct SSs, etc. Even if they are not participating on the team, having that information up will allow 'judges' to more easily catch someone that may be fudging a result. And it doesn't let someone 'win' that can't figure out how to post a proper screenshot or file, etc.
4. Stick to boint bearing benchmarks at Hwbot

I agree 4.0 is to low. I'd have to under clock my AMD and Intel stuff. LOL

Or some of us would have to move to a lower class MOBO/CPU combo on the AMD side to be under 4.0. My wife is always complaining that I keep the boxes that the stuff I bought came in:)

On the single core idea..... AMD does not = Intel
Maybe (4) AMD cores to (2) Intel cores?????
I have no knowledge in this as I have been AMD since Slot A

Last edited by a moderator:
On the single core idea..... AMD does not = Intel
Maybe (4) AMD cores to (2) Intel cores?????
I have no knowledge in this as I have been AMD since Slot A

Every time we do cpu benches they are separate so amd wont be competing against Intel. it keeps things fair.

The Wife says to you guys.... That I'm a treasure trove of ancient hardware. Unless it has died, it does not leave after it has entered.

To get more people in especially those that just have AMD I think you will have to have to separate AMD from Intel. Everyone like to compete and at least have a chance to win but when competing unfortunately AMD doesn't compare to Intel when it comes to benchmarks.

break it up by intel/ amd.
set a low clock limit, 2.5-3.0.
set a low ram clock, 1600.
no going cold for all, show open hardware monitor, mb temp must be greater than 22c.
should be easy to police.

Back