• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer Bench off???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I just wanted to post something up here to see if there's much interest in keeping some sort of Benching competition going over the summer and to maybe get some input on a format of some sort.
All ideas will be considered even your EarthDog

:rofl:

1. Ambient cooling only (air/water, no chilled water)
2. Perhaps set clock limits on CPU benchmarks to promote tweaking among the team.
3. Submissions must follow Hwbot rules, period. This is for new people to get used to the format as I see some new people have trouble with posting correct SSs, etc. Even if they are not participating on the team, having that information up will allow 'judges' to more easily catch someone that may be fudging a result. And it doesn't let someone 'win' that can't figure out how to post a proper screenshot or file, etc.
4. Stick to boint bearing benchmarks at Hwbot

Last edited:
I was even considering some limitations on hardware as well.

If you limit hardware, that could limit the number of participants big time. Not everyone has a stable of cards/CPUs to participate.

I see limiting say, octo cores or hex's in Wprime (Intel), that type of thing. But if you lop off too much off the top (or bottom) that could limit the participants.

Ambient levels the playing field pretty good I like that instead of limited hardware.

Good guys, keep it coming. This is all open for discussion. Even clocks limits might be easier for everyone to accommodate, possibly even a handicap for AMD??

I'm game for whatever. I like the ambient idea though it maybe tough to enforce.

Seems good, summer is the perfect time for an ambient limit as most people here can't just open a window for an advantage like in the winter. I'm take it or leave it on clock limits as ambient cooling prevents anyone from going to crazy anyway but it would promote learning how to tweak each one better (which I know I personally suck at)

I'm game for whatever. I like the ambient idea though it maybe tough to enforce.
I doubt it would be too hard to enforce as most around here have a good idea of what hardware can pull off without cold.

Good guys, keep it coming. This is all open for discussion. Even clocks limits might be easier for everyone to accommodate, possibly even a handicap for AMD??
You are still going to want to keep AMD CPUs separate IMO. How would you fairly handicap it?

Yes Ambient cooling is good for me it will give me something to do this summer even tho right now im lucky if I can hit 5.1 b4 my PC reboots

I doubt it would be too hard to enforce as most around here have a good idea of what hardware can pull off without cold.

BS!
Anybody can come up with gold hardware at any time.
This could leave a possible competitor at the judges mercy as to what is a real score and what isn't, based on what THEY say or think is possible.
There is no way to enforce cooling restrictions other than video.

Nothing is perfect, but its better than getting walked/having no chance to win by those rare few using sub ambient versus the rest that are not. And yes, this is all for fun, but when you call it a competition, the point is to try to win. Its a kick in the pants to me when win, place, or show are already taken. ;)

I also trust most people around here not to lie and cheat so it is easier as there is a built in level of trust, unlike at hwbot comps. If someone wants to cheat to win some jenky prizes in an intraforum competition, well, karma.

Also, if something comes up like that, we can ask for a video of a run. It doens't have to be the exact time/score posted, but it should show that whatever part can bench on ambient at those clocks. Simple, really.

Nothing is perfect, but its better than getting walked/having no chance to win by those rare few using sub ambient versus the rest that are not. And yes, this is all for fun, but when you call it a competition, the point is to try to win. Its a kick in the pants to me when win, place, or show are already taken. ;)

I also trust most people around here not to lie and cheat so it is easier as there is a built in level of trust, unlike at hwbot comps. If someone wants to cheat to win some jenky prizes in an intraforum competition, well, karma.

Also, if something comes up like that, we can ask for a video of a run. It doens't have to be the exact time/score posted, but it should show that whatever part can bench on ambient at those clocks. Simple, really.

Kind of my thoughts as well. No matter what it's impossible to truly know everyone is following the rules but it's not like we'd be competing for thousands in prizes. Same goes for click limitations since lots of boards have windows programs you could run at whatever speed you want and downclock for the ss.

Sure, I'll keep the AMD and Intel flavours seperate and you're all right, we have to rely on honest here if we're going to have a fair competition either with ambient or clock limits.

Two concurrent bench-offs, one for ambient submissions only and one for sub-ambient submissions only.

That way those who go cold regularly can still play without feeling limited and those who don't won't feel disadvantaged.

That might make people want to go cold and it might make people want to tweak the benches more too.

:grouphug::chair::escape:

:rofl:

1. Ambient cooling only (air/water, no chilled water)
2. Perhaps set clock limits on CPU benchmarks to promote tweaking among the team.
3. Submissions must follow Hwbot rules, period. This is for new people to get used to the format as I see some new people have trouble with posting correct SSs, etc. Even if they are not participating on the team, having that information up will allow 'judges' to more easily catch someone that may be fudging a result. And it doesn't let someone 'win' that can't figure out how to post a proper screenshot or file, etc.
4. Stick to boint bearing benchmarks at Hwbot

All of this.

Good thinking, however, there are literally 3 people, 4 including me (who can, and did once), that went cold versus a dozen or more than can't/don't.

Not to mention, sounds like more administrative work for whoever runs it... I'm not running the show, but I would think he wouldn't want another separate section for 3 people? But, I'm swimming out of my lane a bit answering that too...

If a truly level playing field is what is wanted, the clock limit would have to be low enough that everyones hardware would make such a limit. And then is there any memory clock limit? Card clock limit?
to me it doesnt really matter either way.
come to think of it. There is a good possibility that a clock limit could potentially show how tweaks really do help scores and thus would be a way to get some to work for tweaks

Back