• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Son wants to upgrade his Dell Optiplex GX 620 gfx card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akira022

Registered
My son (Eight years old) is wanting to use his allowance to upgrade his graphics card. He has $20. I have told him that i would cover taxes and shipping but are looking for something that is better than what is currently in it. Here is his pc. I have put 3 gigs ram with a 2.9 dual core cpu. It does have a limit to long cards. I have a spare Geforce GTX 260 but it wont fit because of the length. He doesn't really worry about what the graphics look like rather than the ability to play things functionally. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Off hand(he is asleep) access is limited. Its better than what was in it. But I believe that he has a 500. If not, I have some extras laying around. If something needs extra power I can look into it depending on the card.

The 620 he has is faster than the 5450 dude...

I don't see where there's any graphics card listed in the build.

I think he's running the onboard graphics of the GX620 motherboard (whatever it is). Nearly anything would be better than the onboard graphics chip on that board.

As to the poster of the thread, there aren't many graphics cards out there you can get for $20.

I'd look into a minimum of something like a GTX 460, GTX 470, GTX 550Ti, or GTX 560Ti. Though all of those are above the budget of $20, even before shipping, and they're all fairly old technology now.

The 620 he has is faster than the 5450 dude...

How? lol

Its not even remotely close o_O, even with a 5450...

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...pare=radeon-x1300-xt-vs-radeon-hd-5450-1024mb

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see where there's any graphics card listed in the build.

I think he's running the onboard graphics of the GX620 motherboard (whatever it is). Nearly anything would be better than the onboard graphics chip on that board.

As to the poster of the thread, there aren't many graphics cards out there you can get for $20.

I'd look into a minimum of something like a GTX 460, GTX 470, GTX 550Ti, or GTX 560Ti. Though all of those are above the budget of $20, even before shipping, and they're all fairly old technology now.

A 7750 would probably be superior to all of those given his computer. The 400/500's are laughable with power consumption. The 7750 is pcie powered and just as potent for gaming.

I was able to get an pcie extender to hook up the gtx 260 but I feel leaving the case open to keep it hooked up for an 8 year old with a 5 year old sister is probably a problem. He can run pretty much anything with it though. I will see what I can do to help him out. Thank you all for the advice

I looked and the onboard gfx is a geforce 6200 turbocache. I will check the suggested cards out. Thank you guys very much ^_^

What's the length restriction and how much could you help him out?
Also is it a full height or half height GPU?

I cannot help too much without him knowing. Probably not more that a couple of dollars. I am trying to help him with his work ethic ^_^. Also it is not a low profile. It takes the regular sized desktop gfx cards as long as they are not too long.

Also, he is trying to play things like Sonic Generations and maybe Final Fantasy 13(He doesn't know yet if he wants to)

Maybe the best help would be for him to buy a case (as long as the PSU and mobo are ATX) and then let him use the GTX 260.

That way he gets the better GPU and it'll fit in the case.
JM2C.

actually reading the system configs helps you get the best advice to others. Its ok, we all make that mistake from time to time.

For example, the GX620 uses a proprietary motherboard that wont fit another case as you suggested. It's also a half height gpu.

You obviously can't read. I clearly stated to check the board and PSU before buying a case to make sure they're ATX or not.

It's $3 to get a full height bracket for one of those GPU's. Big deal.

You obviously can't read. I clearly stated to check the board and PSU before buying a case to make sure they're ATX or not.

Irony.

I was thinking it had a GT 620...

It's $3 to get a full height bracket for one of those GPU's. Big deal.

Yeah, its not your money or time, why would it matter?

Barring shady "refurbished" or well used units on Ebay, he's gonna have a tough time finding a gt 620 for 20-30$. the 5450 can be purchased new in box from newegg for that, and actually come with a warranty if anything goes wrong.

Irony.

Yeah, its not your money or time, why would it matter?

Barring shady "refurbished" or well used units on Ebay, he's gonna have a tough time finding a gt 620 for 20-30$. the 5450 can be purchased new in box from newegg for that, and actually come with a warranty if anything goes wrong.

Funny to hear "irony" coming from you of all people.

Having used a 5450, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I sold it for basically the shipping cost just to be rid of it.
That thing (the one I had) was a nightmare for drivers and performed terribly.

Back