• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps way too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenoyTexy

Hello, I just wanted to ask something real quick. I cleaned my PC and applied fresh thermal paste on it to see the results. Can't say I am satisfied because they look too high. Can anyone tell me if these temps are good or not?
IDLE TEMPS: After checking my idle temps I went ahead and opened prime95 for a quick test with these settings : After testing for 3-4 minutes this was the result... : (79 DEGREES?)
SPECS:
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 GEN3
Akasa Venom Voodoo
AMD FX 8350 (Turbo Core Enabled)
Zalman Z11 Plus Case with 3 extra Akasa case fans.
Fans are all set to Silent mode on AI Suite II. It doesn't make a difference tbh.

GenoyTexy, to give us a better look under the hood, so to speak, download Hwmonitor and Cpu-Z. Then open Hwmonitor and run Prime Blend 20 minutes. Keep and eye on the temps, if the cpu or package goes above 70 or 62c respectively, stop the test. Then post back here using the in forum picture hosting tool screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory.

Here is how to host the pictures.
How to add pictures.PNG

Welcome to OCF...

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...

Results

CPU Section in CPU-Z while IDLE cpuidle.png
CPU Section in CPU-Z after testing cputest.png
HW Monitor while idle hwmonitoridle.png
HW Monitor after testing hwmonitortest.png
Memory section in CPU-Z while idle memoryidle.png
Memory section in CPU-Z after testing memorytest.png
SPD section in CPU-Z while idle spdidle.png
SPD section in CPU-Z after testing spdtest.png

IMO after looking at your screenies, you have not enough air flow in your case and/or a crappy mount. Your temps are high for your voltage and OC. Way high.

IMO after looking at your screenies, you have not enough air flow in your case and/or a crappy mount. Your temps are high for your voltage and OC. Way high.
I agree with Scotty. Something is amiss, when you say you have 3 extra fans in the case is that in addition to the 3 120mm fans that are pre installed? What is the airflow like, generally front fans as intakes, top and rear fans as exhaust is recommended. The heatsink you have should be able to handle the Fx 8350 without a problem. The fan on it is functioning correct? You may need to re seat it, again.

High ambient temps?
What's your room temps like?

Also how did you apply the thermal paste?
Pea sized blob or rice grain?

Air-flow.png Diagram of proper case air flow:

Your air movement should be front to back, low to high and your CPU cooler fan(s) should be pushing air from the front side of the cooler trough the heat sink toward the rear of the case.

AMD FX 8350 (Turbo Core Enabled)

You really should look into liquid cooling for a processor like this to enable the overclocking ability. I'm not saying your cooler is no good, but it really is no good.

The best thing you could do here is put fans on the VRM section and see if you can't find like a little 40mm fan to put at the base of that cooler. it appears no air flow gitsta bottom of the cooler and that is where the heat is created. Thus the reason I've never bought into coolers like yours, H212 and such. You wind up adding fans to the VRM section in most cases, and if your air cooler forces you to do that, you may have well boughten yourselfage a liquid cooler and increase maximum overclock by at least 200mhz on most systems.

Back