• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a soundcard... Which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoBioN

Hello everyone

So basicly my situation is as follows: I had a problem with my motherboard running my graphic card in PCI express X1 mode instead of X16 mode... I had it apart a few times, one of the times i forgot to touch some metal first and somehow i managed to screw up the audio (all there is outputting is a static noise). So basicly i've got this Music studio soundcard installed in the meantime, which works fine, but i can't use a headset properly since microphone connections and etc. are a hassle (i'd have to use a real microphone in combination with the headset).

I also use optical sound normally, this is also a hassle to use with the soundcard i use right now..

So basicly i need a soundcard that should do these things:

- Be as cheap as possible
- Have connections for optical cables
- Work great in games.

most likely there will be no difference from an onboard card. But the choice is between changing the whole motherboard (which seems to be working fine, so i've must fried only soundchip?). Or getting a soundcard. The weird thing is, that after i had the PC apart and sound got "fried" the motherboard began working fine again and doing PCI Express at X16 speed again...

Any suggestions? :)

What slot? PCIe, PCI?

Have you considered a USB based sound card?

i've got both kind of slots free...

I have not considered USB since i could imagine there is disadvantages to those?

Asus makes a good cheap card, around $35 or so.
I think Creative has one around $45.

You don't want to sacrifice PCIe lanes since you're on 2.0, so I'd use one that's PCI or USB.

Only disadvantage I know of is that USB to S/PDIF cards aren't quite as common and that they'll use a USB port if you're short on them.

Unless you need power, on board sound is really good in most scenarios now. External hardware is typically superior for the cost as well.

Check the back of your display. Some of them have S/PDIF and/or line out. Then you can set the PC to use HDMI or DP audio out.

Other than that, check to see if the S/PDIF output still works. Could be something as simple as one of the analog supply chokes being broken off, which would probably allow the digital stuff to still work.

Check the back of your display. Some of them have S/PDIF and/or line out. Then you can set the PC to use HDMI or DP audio out.

Other than that, check to see if the S/PDIF output still works. Could be something as simple as one of the analog supply chokes being broken off, which would probably allow the digital stuff to still work.

Ah, good idea. Could also run 3.5mm out from a lot of monitors as well.

Back