• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Owners of Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

Is there anyone who can confirm with me that this router runs PPPoA encapsulation before and after flashing DD WRT?

I need to know as I live in New Zealand and we need this encapsulation type for our internet to work highly considering purchasing the above if it does the job.

I also would really appreciate it if someone could either upload a screenshot to verify this or give me a yes no to the other options I require for my connection as follows below;

COPY AND PASTE DIRECTLY FROM MY ISP'S WEBSITE

If you have obtained your ADSL Broadband modem elsewhere you will need to follow your modem user guide and adjust the settings to match the ones provided below for Spark Broadband. If you are using a Spark Supplied Modem check out how to Set Up Your Broadband.

ADSL equipment used on the Spark and Chorus networks must be Telepermit PTC273 certified.

VPI: 0
VCI: 100
Multiplexing: VCMUX
MTU: 1500
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 (or 'PPPoverATM', also known as 'PPPoA')
PPP Username: [email protected]
PPP Password: password
PPP Auth Type : PAP
Operating Mode (ADSL2+): AUTO or G.992.5 Annex A
Operating Mode (ADSL2): AUTO or G.992.3 Annex A
Operating Mode (ADSL1): AUTO or G.992.1 (G.DMT) or ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
DO NOT use G.992.2 (G.Lite)
Note: You may not be prompted for all values.

Static IP or Port 25 Service
These services are linked to the port you broadband is connected to and not your username and password combination. You do not need to change the username or password in your modem from the default values if you sign up for either of these. However the modem must have something in both username and password for the service to work.

-----------------------------------------------------
I would greatly appreciate help on this.

Cheers,

Time-Bandit.

Straight from BrainSlayer himself:
BrainSlayer said:
its not possible to support it since there is no atm unit integrated
Source

So as I mentioned in your other thread you need a separate modem to use PPPoA.
DD-WRT was designed to run on North American routers, and we use PPPoE, not PPPoA thus DD-WRT won't support it.

EDIT: You may want to check out this page about flashing Open-WRT to the router. It sounds like it make work and give you PPPoA.
I've never used Open-WRT and from what I've read it's meant for people who are comfortable with the command line interface.... More advance users basically.

Try it though if you want. Though if it was me, I'd leave the modem as is, and just flash DD-WRT to a cheap router then hook up your devices to that cheap router.

Last edited:
Straight from BrainSlayer himself:

Source

So as I mentioned in your other thread you need a separate modem to use PPPoA.
DD-WRT was designed to run on North American routers, and we use PPPoE, not PPPoA thus DD-WRT won't support it.

EDIT: You may want to check out this page about flashing Open-WRT to the router. It sounds like it make work and give you PPPoA.
I've never used Open-WRT and from what I've read it's meant for people who are comfortable with the command line interface.... More advance users basically.

Try it though if you want. Though if it was me, I'd leave the modem as is, and just flash DD-WRT to a cheap router then hook up your devices to that cheap router.

I question would I lose speed if I was to bridge?

Returned the router I had waiting on Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H to come in the post seesms it has PPPoA in it hoping once I flash to DD WRT I don't lose the inbuilt torrenting function.

Returned the router I had waiting on Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H to come in the post seesms it has PPPoA in it hoping once I flash to DD WRT I don't lose the inbuilt torrenting function.

Get familiar with flashing back to stock if DD-WRT nukes your PPPoA ability...

Yup that is certainly the plan, I just hope I get my item now purchased it and website says out of stock I hope that means I got the last one (since it was a couple of days after I made my purchase) will let you know how I went.

Yup that is certainly the plan, I just hope I get my item now purchased it and website says out of stock I hope that means I got the last one (since it was a couple of days after I made my purchase) will let you know how I went.

Yikes!

If not, refund time!

Yikes!

If not, refund time!

It has PPPoA. Just not sure how to flash back from DDWRT to stock in the event the custom firmware doesn't have the PPPoA in it don't want to get myself stuck. Can't seem to find any intel from online about how to do it nor have I heard from any owners of the same modem/router to ask them how to do it either. Any ideas??

It has PPPoA. Just not sure how to flash back from DDWRT to stock in the event the custom firmware doesn't have the PPPoA in it don't want to get myself stuck. Can't seem to find any intel from online about how to do it nor have I heard from any owners of the same modem/router to ask them how to do it either. Any ideas??

AFAIK, you enter recovery mode if your router has it and using Internet Explorer, upload the stock firmware to it....

That's how it works on my Dlink DIR601...... probably different on that router you have. Try googling flash back to stock from ddwrt Buffalo WBMR HP G300H or something...

I'll try and find some info later.

AFAIK, you enter recovery mode if your router has it and using Internet Explorer, upload the stock firmware to it....

That's how it works on my Dlink DIR601...... probably different on that router you have. Try googling flash back to stock from ddwrt Buffalo WBMR HP G300H or something...

I'll try and find some info later.

from what I have seen something about a unencrypted file is needed (must be firmware) before flashing other webbies saying you need to rename the firmware file before flashing, other websites say you can't flash back so I am on the fence with this one.

It's a one shot deal Time-Bandit.

It seems there is PPPoA support in DD-WRT, but one user says it's a bit slower than original firmware.
Take a look here.

If you flash DD-wrt, you are stuck with it. There's no way to flash back to stock firmware once you go with DD-wrt.
It's up to you. Either you flash DD-WRT and live with it forever or stay with stock firmware from Buffalo.....

I was wondering if it is possible to some how make an image/back up of the firmware on their before I flash or obtain the data via SSH or something not sure if possible. I see some stuff on the internet claiming people have reverted back to stock but I can't find anything solid to say yes it does work and this is how to do it.

I am also wanting to know if I will still have my torrent ability after I flash to DDWRT or not, unsure how I would look at the file to find out before I flash as this would be super handy being able to torrent while my machine is off.

I was wondering if it is possible to some how make an image/back up of the firmware on their before I flash or obtain the data via SSH or something not sure if possible. I see some stuff on the internet claiming people have reverted back to stock but I can't find anything solid to say yes it does work and this is how to do it.

I am also wanting to know if I will still have my torrent ability after I flash to DDWRT or not, unsure how I would look at the file to find out before I flash as this would be super handy being able to torrent while my machine is off.

Torrent ability?

Yeah stock firmware has something in it where I can torrent with my computer off (downloads my files to USB). Would really like to keep that function aswell as have full QOS over my network/devices.

QOS you'll have.

I've never heard of this torrenting option so I don't know about that...

QOS you'll have.

I've never heard of this torrenting option so I don't know about that...

The name I saw used in a video on youtube was "transmission" it showed how to get this function operating on DDWRT firmware now im considering going to OpenWRT (mainly because of the issue with speeds).

Kind of back on the fence now about this one.

I've never used OpentWRT.... I've only read it's more command line based than the webpage interface of DD-WRT...

I've never used OpentWRT.... I've only read it's more command line based than the webpage interface of DD-WRT...

Got this reply on another forum;

Either with DD-WRT or OpenWRT you can't flash back to stock fw.
Both can run PPPoE and PPPoA, and both has QOS functions, but DD-WRT is more noob friendly from my point of view.
Latest DD-WRT builds are not very light especially for torrenting function, so I suggest you to go for OpenWRT+Aria2 dw manager.

I am not even sure how I pick the right firmware I'm pretty confused.

Back