• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The DirecTV "Reciever IP Callback"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

The reason why i am typing this post is so that i can inform not only the customers, but also the technicians out there.

This applies to both the WIRED Cinema Connection Kit and the WIRELESS Cinema Connection Kit

When a DirecTV receiver is hooked up to satellite, dsl, or cable internet via ethernet to router, it will attempt to do an IP callback and DirecTV will also attempt to make it call back again. This is so you can legitimately order pay per view and on demand right from the receiver instead of calling DirecTV or ordering from DirecTVs website. If the receiver is unable call back to DirecTV, you, the customer, will not be able to use On Demand and will have to order Pay Per View by (as DirecTV puts it) Text, Click, Or Call instead of being able to order from the receiver. I have seen a lot of my co-workers being told by my supervisor that their receivers are not calling back and sometimes they have to go back and check it again even if it already is hooked up properly.

But even if the CCK is hooked up properly on all of the technicians installs, why do some of them call back? The main reason IS NOT THE SPEED OF THE CUSTOMERS INTERNET CONNECTION but actually has to do with UPnP on some routers including CENTURY LINKS routers although Netgear and Linksys have a very functional UPnP. UPnP should always take care of it, but on some routers made by century link, belkin, and even asus, it does not. This is where we have to PORT FORWARD the receiver or receivers. You could go to portforward.com, but they only have a guide for the genie go. So before you start port forwarding the receiver, we first need to make sure if its going to be able to do a call back

Click the menu button on the remote and then on the screen go to Settings and Help > Settings > Network Setup > Network Services. Move the Blue highlighter to the Connect Now button and click select on the remote. It will now say "Starting Network Services". If it says "Congradulations! Network Services started successfully", then there is no need to port forward. If it gives you an error message followed by code 202 or similar, then you have two options

1. Disconnet the CCK and let the customer know that they will need to have the CCK dropshipped to them and that they will have to port forward it themselves

2. Tell the customer the situation and that you need to access their router to port forward the receiver.

If you choose to port forward but are afraid of messing up the customers router then Fear not. it is not hard to port forward the receiver but instrucstions on how to will be different for each router brand of router you come across. i will give out instructions for the century link routers, but for other router brands you come across on the job (which you will many times), you will have to do your homework AT YOUR HOME and look up guides on the internet for each router brand on how to do it. What you need to really understand is not only what your doing BUT ALSO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING IN THE ROUTERS WEB GUI INTERFACE.

Before you connect to the customers router, and in network services, change it from automatic to manual and it will give you two ports. keep these two ports "two numbers together" for example "27177-27178" "27165-27166". Now look at the ip address. it should be 192.168.x.x for example 192.168.2.34 OR 192.168.0.23. Now write it all down on a piece of paper. if it begins with 169.254.x.x, then you need to make sure the CCK is hooked up correctly and re-run network setup.

Now you are ready to port forward

TWO METHODS OF CONNECTING TO THE CUSTOMERS ROUTER

NOTE: you can also use your tablet or laptop computer to do this as well. Or customers computer if they let you.

WPS
First, go look up the list of wifi networks on your smart phone for the customers router/accesspoint (i have an android by the way). if you see it saying "WPS availible, then press the WPS button on the router first and then press the WPS button on your smart phone which will be logo of two arrows going in circlulor motion on the bottom left, right, top right or top left. it may also be in the menu which is usually two little dots on the top or bottom corners listed as "WPS" "WPS push button". Wait up to 30 seconds. if it does not connect...

WIFI PASSWORD
ask the customer for their router wifi password and use it to connect your phone to the router. if they refuse to give it to you (Which to me is extremely rare of them to refuse), pack up the CCK, finish the job, have them sign, and get out of there.

now open up your web browser and enter the routers ip address which is 192.168.x.1. if the IP address you wrote down was lets say "192.168.1.x" then the routers will be 192.168.1.1. if its lets say "192.168.2.x" then it would be 192.168.2.1. Once in, you will be prompted to enter a username and password. The username is admin and password will be on the sticker located underneath the router under "Web GUI password". after you enter those, you will be taken to the main screen. click the red bubble or "Advanced Settings" and in the lower left corner of the screen Click "Port Forwarding".

Remember that ip address and two ports we wrote down? write down the exact ip address into the address bar in box 1 and then put the first port in "starting port" and the second port in "ending port". now click apply, wait, and then it will take you back to the port forwarding screen. now go back to the receiver and in network services click connect now. Once the receiver congradulates you, go check on demand to see if the movie thumbnails still have the white transparancy on them. if they do not, then on demand, pay per view and all other internet services will now start to work normally and in approximately 20 to 30 minutes, you will see it showing a call back on your hand held.

Any questions?

G, it seems like you're really enjoying your job! Glad to see you soaking up so much information and figuring out so many good fixes.

I doubt I'll ever use the info myself, since I don't have or plan to have DirecTV, but it'll definitely help someone!

i was starting to think about that myself too after the mods told me it would have been better to post this on another forums account. but then again, i do like to keep my info low and would hate to make another account just to post this. But if i end up having to post it in another forums, so be it. just trying to inform.

Back