• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system, wanted some input.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberhedz

Registered
Hey guys, I couldn't for the life of me remember my old login, so here's the new one. Anyways, I just built a new system and will be water cooling it shortly. I haven't had the chance to WC in a few years, so I want to make sure I do this right.

Air540 case
i7-5930K
dual GTX980 Classified

considering mobo cooling, but not sure it's worth the cost

Loop:
Triple 120 rad --> D5 pump with Top 100 res --> CPU --> dual 120 rad --> Y splitter --> GPU's --> Y spitter --> second D5 pump

recommendations welcome, thanks for reading!

Could just run the GPU in series, and not have the splitters. Make the loop a bit simpler.

Mobo WC isn't worth it.
GPU's in series for sure, you have more than enough pump.

Make sure the second pump has a res to feed it.

alright, thanks, that's why i wanted to ask here. both pumps have a top100 res installed, and I'm thinking about adding another res to the loop some where, not sure where though. I assumed parallel GPU because that's what I used to do to HDD, glad I can go series, it will be much easier since I'm using hard acrylic. The res in question would be a bay device, just so i can show it off a little more :D

With the Air 540, which is one of my favorite cases out there for cube size cases and water cooling friendly, could be a pain to have a bay reservoir if it is not on its side. If you're going with a tube res, it is much easier, me thinks.

Don't need two pumps, only if you're looking for redundancy. If you're sticking with 2 pumps make sure you buy a serial top for them and have the reservoir feeding naturally directly to the pumps and have the setting to a 1 or 2 on those D5s.

As everyone has said, keep the GPUs in serial and don't need MB cooling unless you're doing 5GHz+ OCs.

Make sure to get the right rads for this case. AFAIK and to save you some trouble but double check, the Alphacool ST30s fit really well with this case for a 240 top and 320 front in PUSH or PULL and in some instances both but you'll have to make sure. I know you could snug 3 fans in front of the facade of the case as there is room for this and have a rad with 3 fans in pull inside the case. The top, I am not sure.

Don't put a second res on a dual pump single loop. It is completely unnecessary. The second pump itself is really not needed at all but if you want to add it for redundancy then simply adding it to the loop like any other component is all that you need to do.

Adding a second res just creates a permanent pump power sucking air bubble in the loop unless the second res is kept completely full. A single res for trapping air out of the system is all that is needed.

hmm, really? The D5 is strong enough to full loop through a dual, triple, and 3 blocks on its own? damn, pumps have changed in a few years. my last setup was a koolance with the 450 pump, and I had to use splitters and various tubing to get the flow right. the pump I am getting includes the res: http://goo.gl/bcWJ1y and I was thinking about getting this res, for aesthetics mostly: http://goo.gl/bJMaE3 , mounted vertically in the bay.

If you guys think i can really work with just one pump, cool, I'm not familiar with the D5, I just know it's the best out there right now.

ok, I've made three replies now and they aren't showing up. Thank you for the feedback guys. I'm not too familiar with the D5's, can they really handle a dual and triple rad, plus 3 blocks without strain? If my other posts show up, then you'll see the res and pump I'm looking at, basically its the D5 with a 100ml top res on it, and the bay res I am considering, for cosmetics.

alright, I'll stick with 1, enough of you are saying two is overkill and unnecessary. The pump+res combo is the "EK D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario Pump", should I roll this, or get a standalone D5 and a standalone res?

alright, I'll stick with 1, enough of you are saying two is overkill and unnecessary. The pump+res combo is the "EK D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario Pump", should I roll this, or get a standalone D5 and a standalone res?

As Conumdrum said, the MCP50X is the best pump on the market.

I didn't see it on frozen during my first search, I assumed the X was a place holder for 505, 501, etc. Just found it, thank you. now to find a proper res, my only concern with the bay one, its that it will be mounted vertically. If it doesnt leak, I'm set, otherwise, I'll just find a tube to install internally.

Thanks for the help guys!

Swiftech makes a tube that attaches straight to the top of the MCP35X and MCP50X

Swiftech makes a tube that attaches straight to the top of the MCP35X and MCP50X

This. The MCP50X is more powerful and cheaper than the 35x. Both are great pumps but I'd go with the 50x from swiftech and this tube res to go along with it.

Also, Frozencpu isn't taking any orders atm for some time now. Go with performancepcs as they are the next best in line in H20 gear.

Last edited:
cool, thanks for the links, I didnt know about those guys, and yea, frozen said 30 days....back in feb.

If you MUST have a bay res (and some are a pain to fill and bleed) then the top of the 50x has the standard G1/4 threads, that any common WC fitting will fit.

If a bay res fits your needs, then they also have the Bay res where the pump fits on the bottom of the res for a very nice good looking clean install. They have two reses, the original and the V2. No need for 2 resses.

I like the V2 due to the deeper water area. Due to the filling and the 'bump the pump' requirement I'd get the V2. It's a big improvement. Swiftech makes great stuff. And Gabe is fully behind his products. Met him a few times, great guy!

Con, its a Corsair Air 540 case. If he doesn't flip the case to its right side, the reservoir will be on its side hence why we recommended to go with a small tube reservoir in the PSU compartment unless the OP wants to keep the case on its side with a bay res installed.

Thanks for all the info guys, I can't believe I stayed away for so long. Glad to have a decent PC again too. From what I'm hearing, I'll just avoid the bay res since it's prone to cause me issues. The Rev2 looks like the answer for me, so now to wait for everything to come in stock :D

Back