• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to properly run PiFast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

Hi Guys,

I'm currently feeling better. I was looking at the different stages in Div IV Competition. I have not tried PiFast before, so I fired it up to do a BS run. It started asking me a bunch of questions.
How do I want to compute PI (options 0-4)????
Choose computation mode ?????
The number of decimal digits????
FFT sise????
Compressed output???
After I stumbled through the program, when was done, it closed it's window with out giving me a score?
I have looked over HWbot.org, trying to find out how to set it up and what to calculate 1M, 100M, 1B but there's no defined wording.

I thank you guys for your help

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

This one also only runs on one core and usually better in XP or vista 32

This one also only runs on one core and usually better in XP or vista 32
Thanks for the info...When you told me the same about super pi, I found that I got better performance when I shut down to 1 core. There was a 3 sec increase instead of just telling it to use X core and high priority. I'm looking forward to your next run with the 9370:)

I typically run two cores and use affinity to force it to the second core. Keeps the bench away from the OS processes better.

XP
2 cores
run tight, even if you have to give up speed
low process
priority ? never really see much diff ?
Make no mistake, no tweaks will overcome the reality that max cpu clocks are king

MaddMutt I saw your result and as others said:
1. Use WinXP or limited to minimum Win7 ( ~25 processes or less )
2. Really you have there clock gadget on the desktop ?
3. Set 2 threads in BIOS. Never use 1 thread as during the benchmark system is performing additional operations. If there is 1 thread only then OS will use CPU cycles from pifast to do something else in this time.
4. Set high CPU-NB clock and check if higher HT is helping in anything
5. There is a gadget clock on the desktop ...
6. To set high priority edit pifast.bat file and add at the beginning line with pause. In this way you will be able to start cmd , change priority and click any button to continue test.

I'm working on setting up a dedicated benching computer instead of using my 24/7 gaming computer.

Benching Computer.jpg

Yes.... I have 2 HD-3650's CF in the picture. I looked on HWbot and there are only a few submissions with this setup. I'm also looking at doing a run with a HD-2600XT (also had 2 but the other died:( ) and some runs with 3x HD-4850's :). I skipped the 5xxx series and I sold my 2x HD-6950 Toxic to help pay for the 2x 290x's. I also fold for Maximum PC magazine, so I have 7x 280's that I can bench:)
Yes.... the fans have arrows on them to tell me which direction the air is blowing, it's a lot easier than having to plug them in every time.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

Switch your clients to team 32... There are sticky threads with instructions too. Shouldnt need a how to thread for that! :)

Just a note on fan direction that may help, the side with a sticker on the hub that shows details (like amperage/wattage/model #) is which way the fans blow (towards your face). You can also determine it by simply looking at the blades on most fans. ;)

Last edited:
Best to keep benching equipment and 24/7 stuff separate.

Can't tell you how often I blow up an OS :(

I just changed my team number to 32. Looks like I'll have to wait until I have completed a WU before I get moved over. I hope i get to keep my completed WU's and point's :)

Nice!

And along the lines of what ED said, the side of the fan that has the bars on it (not the open side) tends to also be the output side too.

Well I have my first submission's for team 32 :) But I also left 223,269,358 with team 11108 (Maximum PC) :( . From what I can tell, I have had to start over when I switched to team 32. I have 2 WU completed and 151,000 point's for my first submission, lucky I got to keep my Bonus instead of waiting for your first 10.

You start over for the team stats but if you look your name up, it will still total it all up together.

I had some time ago modded pifast with bat file, which extorted pifast to run with high priority, but I can't find this right now... Normally it can't be done. It was a slight gain from this.

Back