• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of switching from air to watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyNumb3r13

Registered
Hey guys I've just recently done a new build and I'm always looking for some other project to get started on this beast. Now I've got water cooling in my sights and I'm just a little curious if its worth the time and money. I'm already using a H100i GTX and have the case fans running off the MB with a custom fan profile that keeps the fans around 600rpm when cpu is in the 20-35 C range and bump it up to max fan at 55C. While under heavy gaming i barely see my cpu reach 50C, while my GPU reaches roughly 70C.

My question is other than esthetics and the awesome look of a water cooled system what advantages will i have?

My question is other than esthetics and the awesome look of a water cooled system what advantages will i have?

Lower temps all around and a quieter experience. That's not to say that it will be best bang for your buck. Water cooling is a pricey hobby and can be addicting.

They are some nice temps on the CPU, your GPU's would benefit the most, that being said if you went full custom water you would eliminate the AIO cooler

CPU would do a little better in most cases, but nothing night and day once the GPU's are in the loop.

All pretty subjective until you start to nail down how much rad area you will be able to fit.

From my review of the Corsair 750D you can fit a 360 rad in the top and either a 240 or 280 in the front so plenty of room for water cooling the cpu and a single gpu. Both GTXJackBauer and Witchdoctor nailed it.
First custom watercooling is more expensive and for most of us very addictive. Heck, I'm not a "bling" guy and it's salty.

For example, a single 360 rad decent water cooling kit plus a gpu block expect to pay @$400 ($280 kit $120 gpu block, perhaps more. Add a second rad and fans +$75 and up.

You cpu might be a tad cooler in a custom loop but your gpu temps plummet to mid 40sC on max runs.

As you increase rad space, fans can be run slower even when running at max.

I would not go to a custom water loop unless you are going to add the GPU to the loop. Your cpu alone is fine with the Corsair H100i with fans push/pull.

Last edited:
A GPU at 70C is nothing at all to be worried about. Not an issue for the life of the card. Now if you want coolness in a visual way, and have 3-$400 to spend, you can do it really nice for theCPU and GPU. And be very quiet.

Back