• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 860k doesnt seem to increase clock multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you take some screenshots of your BIOS so we can see if any settings are out of place?
It's been ages since I used an MSI board.

You are in the midst of a really crappy deal...

...crap crap. I opened two webpages side by side so I could compare the settings in bios. I see that your board is mATX Gaming and the bios pic on the other page is from an ATX G45 Gaming board but every setting seems the same. In fact other than cpu voltages and difference in ram everything looks identical and their board clocked up to 4.5GHz.

I have a few thoughts:
1. You might be better served registering at MSI forum and post up what you are having issue wise. They have MSI techs often coming bye and in addition they may have some with that board and more familiarity.

2. Contact MSI tech support about the problem.

3. Go into windows power manager and choose "performance" mode and see if their is any difference.

4. It could by the longest of chances a bad cpu or perhaps a bent or not contacting pin. I might pull the processor and look closely at the pins.

When I get just flat footed trapped like this and can actually see no real reason for the problem, I RMA everything while there is time and start again. If we could say cpu is problem...well good RMA it. Okay well maybe it is the motherboard. Okay RMA it. But when it can be one of maybe two things and only a narrow window for RMA...it all goes back at once to do so inside RMA windows. Just my thinking.

RGone...

i only reason i even found it was that i was installing a different gpu and saw the word "SLOW"

Well, no matter how you found it, I'm glad you did. Issues like that are VERY frustrating.

The Freeken manual...

...downloaded the manual in English for the mobo and in the list of geewhizzes on the mobo at front was SLOW BOOT page 1-30.

Page # 1-30.
SLOW_1: Slow Mode Booting Switch
This switch is used for LN2 cooling solution, that provides the extreme overclocking conditions, to boot at a stable processor frequency and to prevent the system from crashing.

RGone...

EXACT PROBLEM

KickingWing, bro, I have been looking for a month now for why my pc was so slow, realizing it was my cpu, noticing the clock speed was low and stuck at 1.7GHz, and connecting this info to my clock multiplier, only to find that i can't change my clock multiplier. My bios has it set at 3.7GHz but it runs at 1.7GHz. I have the EXACT same problem as you did and i was wondering if and how you resolved it. Please message me back at my email [email protected], i would greatly appreciate any help.

KickingWing, bro, I have been looking for a month now for why my pc was so slow, realizing it was my cpu, noticing the clock speed was low and stuck at 1.7GHz, and connecting this info to my clock multiplier, only to find that i can't change my clock multiplier. My bios has it set at 3.7GHz but it runs at 1.7GHz. I have the EXACT same problem as you did and i was wondering if and how you resolved it. Please message me back at my email [email protected], i would greatly appreciate any help.

Is there a slow mode switch on your motherboard?

Back