• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPn solutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

So i have been ask by a friend to hook up VPN for him
i was considering a firewall like Pfsense but we would prefer just a addon
i was looking into openvpn and looks good but will have to test it out

Note the VPN can be Linux or Windows (if windows it would be great if i can add it to the current windows server)
here is the network (black is current, red is where i want the VPN server)
123.jpg

Not sure what you're looking for with this thread, do you have a specific question? If you've already got a server on the network, have you thought about running the vpn on it instead of using dedicated hardware?

I looking for a VPN solution that is not a firewall/internet pass-through that is free that can be installed as software on a windows (preferred) or Linux
open VPN looks pretty good but I will have to install a Linux disro and play with it and see what it can do for my needs

I haven't used the open vpn server solution myself, but I have used openvpn through PFSense and it worked very well. At this point I would bring up the server version of it and see how well it works.

I have been using PureVPN and tried through different protocols and openvpn as well. Worked fine for me.

So i have been ask by a friend to hook up VPN for him
i was considering a firewall like Pfsense but we would prefer just a addon
i was looking into openvpn and looks good but will have to test it out

Note the VPN can be Linux or Windows (if windows it would be great if i can add it to the current windows server)
here is the network (black is current, red is where i want the VPN server)
View attachment 163291

Hey
You can use OpenVPN if you forward UDP/TCP:1194 port (can be changed to another) to your server.
Server can be both Windows or Linux and you can configure your clients to access it.

The only requirement is the port forwarding.
Other than that OpenVPN is working good with the NAT.

It's really easy to install and setup OpenVPN server and clients.
All you need to think about it used IP addresses and routing scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back