• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade (4690k or 4790k or 5820k or Skylake)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batpimp

Registered
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!

Intended use

Hello this upgrade will be my main gaming PC. I already have this (https://pcpartpicker.com/b/W2GfrH)

I want to be ready when sales happen. I also wanted to know if I should wait for windows 10 and dx12 before I should make a decision.

I have been looking at the 4690k. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5961731&SID=0) I am wondering however which mobo setup would be recommended

My old pc,the FX 8150 and the 990fx mobo with it, would be my second PC setup for streaming and rendering.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

I am looking to play games like bf4, evolve etc in 144fps when I can. I already have r9 290s in crossfire and am getting most games at 100fps+ if not more. The games are running on a single screen 1080p. The second monitor I have is mostly for chatting with my viewers.

What is your budget?

I would like to keep the budget around 600 dollars.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

USA

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list.

i4690k

Mobo Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Gskill DDR3 2400mhz

EVGA 850w G2

Samsung 850 EVO 500gig

R9 290 Powercolor PCS+ (in crossfire)

Swiftech 240x Liquid Cooling Setup

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

TL;DR

Upgrade as soon as items become on sale or wait for dx12/win 10 and skylake?Do you guys think its worth upgrading or waiting for real world benchmarks of Dx12 and Win 10?

Currently looking to upgrade to this
CPU 4690k Mobo Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (90ish bucks)

What would you do given this information?

Wait for Skylake. There is nothing your system can't handle well. You have a little bit of a glass ceiling on the AMD CPU and multi-GPUs, but outside of that, I would hold off, no doubt.

I was thinking the same thing. I keep seeing sales for parts that i want but I am like...do i REALLY need that..nononono lol

sure do want it though.

I hoping to wait for skylake launch and hopefully by then the prices for i7 5820 or similar cpus would go down in price especially around black friday again.

Not sure Skylake will be out for the Holiday Season...

If you wait for Skylake, I wouldn't bother with Haswell-E, just get Skylake.

No I meant more that the announcement might lower prices.

I am putting my eggs into black Friday and hoping to get a 5820k but well see.

Back