• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frame grabber / capture program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

This is a little unusual. I'm looking for a program that can save individual frames from a video source (likely an HDMI capture card). It needs to increment the save name automatically so that each frame can be saved with a single click - something similar to what would be needed to make a stop motion video. I intend to use it for frame-by-frame capture of 8mm film and am trying to avoid paying for software as I imagine there's a free software package out there somewhere... any ideas? Thanks!

Been a while since I played with this stuff but have you tried virtualdub mod? Iirc...it does what you're asking (but please let us know).

Been a while since I played with this stuff but have you tried virtualdub mod? Iirc...it does what you're asking (but please let us know).
Thanks for your help. I looked at it earlier and looked at it again just now. If it does what I need, I can't find it - which is surprising because it does everything else video related. The program offered for purchase that does what I need is called CineCap or Dodcap - see here http://jeffdod.tripod.com/alternaware2/indexold.htm

Essentially, all I need to do is screenshot the live capture stream each time a key sequence or mouse button is pressed. It needs to automatically increment the filenames so they can later be assembled into a video OR it can simply create the video frame-by-frame like cinecap. To give you an idea of scale, I have ~5000 feet of 8mm film to scan which is ~190,500 frames of video & ~15k frames/reel. This needs to be automated lol.

I think I found what I need! I just needed different search terms. "Astra Image Webcam Video Grabber 1.0b" which is apparently intended for astophotography.

Back