• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excavator core FX coming soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Has any one else heard any rumours of a new cCPU for this year?
Makes me wonder just WTF is going on came from here
Might jut be a fake.

AMD Says FX And APU-Based AMD Carrizo Cores Coming Soon
By Michael Justin Allen SextonMay 7, 2015 8:20 AM - Source: Tom's Hardware US | B 10 comments

AMD has been hard at work for over a year now on the Excavator CPU architecture known as Carrizo. In a call, AMD said that the new architecture is ready and will be shipping this quarter for both.

49.PNG

The Excavator CPU architecture is the last in AMD's Bulldozer series of architectures. Though we don't know much about the new core yet, we do know that it is based on Bulldozer, and as such we can expect to see a CPU utilizing Clustered Multi-Threading (CMT). In addition, just like the current AMD Kaveri APUs, the chips will be HSA compliant.

AMD didn't give too much information on the new core, but it did say that battery life will increase substantially. AMD expects up to double the battery life for video playback with up to 40 percent more battery life in productivity scenarios.

According to AMD, the APUs will come FreeSync-ready, and they will have 40 percent or greater graphics power than an Intel Core i5. The systems would also use a new compression standard that allows for 4K or 1080p streaming.

27.PNG

Most details about the CPU cores weren't given, but according to a graph, AMD showed an increase in IPC over the previous architecture. Energy efficiency might show greater improvement, as we were previously assured by AMD that a 40 percent power drop is expected from Carrizo compared to Steamroller.

AMD didn't say much about the GPU used in the APU, either. Hopefully, the iGPU will use the same architecture AMD R9 300 series currently under development, but it's possible that the system will continue to use the older architecture found inside of current AMD GPUs.

If AMD's strategy works out, however, Carrizo will be short-lived. AMD's road map shows that 7th Gen APUs will replace Carrizo next year. AMD hasn't said which core type will replace Carrizo, but AMD has been working on a new series of CPU cores designed from the ground up, also codenamed "Zen." This core is expected to be released in 2016 also, and ostensibly offers much greater performance.

The new chips will be available in AMD's FX and A-series APU lines, and will be notebook SKUs.

Ed. note: A previous version of this article had a critical error. We pulled it, heavily revised it, and are now re-posting.

Follow Michael Justin Allen Sexton @LordLao74. Follow us @tomshardware, on Facebook and on Google+.

Last edited:
Looking at all this info I see Excavator totally pointless. Next gen looks much better if it's true. They could actually skip it and release something good much faster. Like slides are showing ... in 3 years they made nothing worth to spend money on.
I can't see that IGP will be interesting and any comparison to i5 IGP has no point. 90%+ laptops are for business or work where graphics is not important and no matter what are you using, it's more than enough. In desktops if you want to play games then you buy discrete graphics card.
40% more battery life ... someone would care if they were selling their higher series laptops. Except some cheap series where they are not using latest technology with these magical features, almost noone is buying AMD based laptops. 40% more battery life is maybe good as AMD based laptops usually come with low capacity batteries to cut costs.

I just wish AMD to release something good soon. I have enough of their bad products with pretty bad marketing cover. They are constantly losing market shares but they delay every premiere of products for which all are waiting. When they release it then it will be already old and slow as we used to see in last years. I just can't get it.

Again I look like this bad guy who hates AMD :p

I know you don't hate them Woomack, just disappointed. I'm pretty sure this is BS. Just someone pullin strings.

Assuming they do release a desktop version of Excavator it might worth it if it's compatible with current motherboards. Of course the ipc increase with the zen looks soo much better, but with that comes ddr 4(I'm assuming). Updating a bios and popping in a new excavator chip might be fun. I would assume overclocks would be higher or at least less energy consuming at 28nm. It's a slight performance increase so the long term investment would obviously be in zen.

I for one think if its true it is good. If you have better products in the pipeline why wouldn't you release them? They are supposed to sit with a thumb up their rear end till they release ZEN parts in over a year? That would be pretty stupid no matter how you slice it.

I don't know what to make of it all, I only hope they pop out a cpu that knocks our socks off.

This is supposed to happen soon? I was think of retiring my two Sabertooths. Maybe I won't now.

Quote from the article, though I'm remaining a skeptic until I actually see a retail Fx chip.

In a call, AMD said that the new architecture is ready and will be shipping this quarter for both.

looking on the net i see all talk about mobile apu's, about nothing in desktop.

I think if Excavator was to make its way out to desktop you would have seen something more substantial by now. Some mention in a roadmap or something ...... one can hope but I doubt that this rumor will bear any fruit.

Latest APU and GPU technologies are designed to enable tech enthusiasts, hard-core gamers and mainstream consumers alike
New York, NY 5/6/2015
AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today at their 2015 Financial Analyst Day is unveiling new AMD 7000 Series Accelerated Processing Units (APUs), AMD Radeon™ 300 and M300 Series Graphics, and AMD A-Series desktop APU updates, delivering a robust lineup of products in 2015 that reinforce AMD’s surround computing leadership.
“We’re excited about the experiences our latest APU and GPU technologies will bring this year for tech enthusiasts, gamers and mainstream consumers alike,” said Matt Skynner, corporate VP and general manager, Computing and Graphics Business Unit at AMD. “AMD’s commitment to graphics and compute performance is evident in the newly available 7000 Series APUs and the Radeon™ 300 Series graphics that deliver superior gaming experiences, premium entertainment streaming and innovative computing features.”
AMD Product Updates:

New AMD 7000 Series APUs: Formerly codenamed “Carrizo-L” and part of the “Carrizo” platform in the 2015 AMD Mobile APU family roadmap, the mainstream system-on-a-chip (SoC) 7000 Series APUs deliver innovative computing to improve how you work, play and relax, all at an unbelievable value. Now available in Greater China and rolling out globally, these APUs combine a power-efficient CPU, an advanced GPU, an AMD Secure Processor and system I/O on a single energy efficient chip to prolong battery life and enable uninterrupted video streaming. Notebooks and All-in-Ones featuring new AMD 7000 Series processors enable best-in-class gaming and great entertainment. With support for Microsoft® DirectX® 12 and Microsoft’s upcoming Windows® 10 operating system, AMD 7000 Series APUs deliver the experiences consumers expect plus security protection built into the processor.

From AMD site: http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/new-7000-series-apu-2015may06.aspx

Nobody cares about anything based on the Bulldozer architecture. Ever since release it's been too power hungry and no where near fast enough vs the competition. Heck, my old Thuban was faster than my current Piledriver rig and used less power. I won't be giving AMD CPU's/APU's and mobo's a look in until Zen comes to the desktop. Then I'll see how things compare. This is coming from someone who has run all AMD systems since the 90's and recently jumped to Intel for my media centre this year. Faster, quieter and more reliable for what I wanted.

They'll either need a significant price advantage at the same performance and power usage or better performance. For my sake I'd prefer a cost/performance advantage. For AMD's sake I hope its a performance advantage so they can play in the higher $ regions they so desperately need.

I agree that this really isn't likely but thought it was worth posting.

It's the most recent news on AMDs site.

I like their web site. It's informative. It tells you what AMD is up to?

Totally worth posting Johan. It's good to discuss!

What's up there RGone, you've retired the bulldozer??

Hehehe. I wondered who would notice. Takes a keen eye for sure and aware of one's surroundings.

Actually last evening or was it very early this AM...not sure. I started a recursive search pattern. Sort of like back to the future. Parts took me to before the first FX ever hit the shelves. The mumbo jumbo and misinformation for years. Although I would likely buy another AM3+ discrete processor called under the Excavator umbrella which does seem likely to come as a desktop APU, I doubt very strongly we will see a discrete FX type processor.

Although the OC community is small in size...well they can be pretty vocal. I just would suggest AMD is not willing to take another raking over the coals with Haswell so far ahead and Skylake so close. I am not sure they totally agree with the premise that any headlines are better than no headlines. I mean they cannot even make deadlines for their new video cards. I cannot find any report that says other than they are losing market share everywhere. I just cannot see them releasing a discrete Excavator and knowing it will not perform even up to Hawell not to mention the Broadwell which seems bound to be very short-lived before the Skylake shoe falls.

Now in the links I set above was the actual why of Bulldozer being such a dud. AMD could not see the cost of making CMT work well and fast and couple that with the need of different software handling of CMT which we know never did, could or would materialize with the two giants Intel and M$ in the drivers seat.

Then in a time past that I saw that AMD was veering away from CMT back toward the SMT architecture of Intel. Lost that bit of information in its' entirety but glimpsed it again in the long search before posting up those two links above. Not what I had seen before but yet and still the same general idea that AMD would not be releasing anything in the form of a discrete processor (IE: not APU) until such time as they managed a full remodeling of their architecture. I am still considering that their best play instead of a 1/4 measure of some discrete FX Excavator AM3+ processor release. Oh they might hype it as AM3+ swan song with 'some' benefits and get buyers. I have already said I likely would purchase one just to have one, but if not marketted as exactly what it is and actual performance...I would not want another black-eye if I were AMD. There are things right now that are fully off my list of use, no not use and get or not get. Plenty may swear by the items in question but for me...enough black eyes.

Realize that AMD has not asked me or probably anyone like me or similar what they should do! But it would seem prudent to not risk a permanent black eye. But who in hale am I? Just my way of looking at things. Yes I believe we will see Carizzon in an APU to fit in FM2+ before the demise of FM2+, but beyond that...well I just don't see what it is we think we want.

Ole faht off of the soap-box. You are now all returned to your regularly scheduled programming.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bang head:bump:

You're right Bobert, they won't do anything until they can do something to help better their reputation. Improve their image and be taken seriously again. 4 years in the "stocks" has to be enough public ridicule for anyone.

I do think I'll miss the little Bulbdozer though.

If they release this as a FX + AM3+ CPU, I'll buy one or two. This would hold me over until Rev 2 ZEN is releast, I think the 1st Gen is going to be a DOG.

Haha they have that reputation. 1st gen always needs a tweak.

But can they overclock??

Back