• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notebook overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I have an Asus G73JH and I was wondering if you guys think i should keep overclocking. The G73 is slowly becoming too slow and I wanted to milk all of the performance out of my laptop as possible. I can overclock the gpu core stable to 770mhz and my max temps in BF4 was 88 C. I read online that the TJ for the 5870m is 105 C. Cpu temp is no issue, lemmie know your thoughtssssssss :p

Raising gpu clock won't raise temps much. Voltage would but I doubt you can change it. TJ in this case means temp when chip will shut down so going close to it I wouldn't call safe. Most mobile graphics have issues with stability or simply break after running for too long at too high temps. I don't know what about 5870m but this ~90*C still looks fine.

I would never let my desktop gpu reach beyond 80C. However, its a personal opinion for how much temperature you may feel safe. Most people don't mind upto 90C. So 88C is fine. And if the performance gain is not much noticeable but stability lost is noticeable after overclock, better down clock it to stock 700mhz.

Back