• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STILL having low PPD with 4790K 970 STRIX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

hey guys ive never hit over 200K with this rig yet using windows 7 basically stock everything. What is everyone else getting? Is linux the way to go? what distro are you guys using for folding? Im looking to put a couple more 970s into production but if im only getting 150 out of this rig already i wonder if its really worth it?

regards,
eddy

ive also tried installing regular ubuntu, xbuntu and mint with no luck it just shows a curser and hangs basically. anyone else have issues with this board maybe?

I never got up to 200k ppd with my i7 and Nvidia 970. I barely got there with the i7 and 970 plus my 660Ti. I think that around 100k was the best I could do with my 970 card. I made the switch to AMD for that reason.

I know that you want to use older drivers for the best Nvidia points. I think it was 325.x. I was using Win7 then I moved up the 8.1 with the same result.

EDIT: I just remembered that I had the 770 not the 970. Big difference. Try the older drivers and see what you think. Use a tool like DDU to remove your current drivers first.

Last edited:
for the 970 move to linux, over 300,000 ppd, i'll find a thread you can follow step by step, thanks to hayesK

Having major issues even installing linux off DVD on this rigg. Seems to hang up cant even give it a test drive option. tried three different distros. Maybe ill try booting from a USB stick if i can find one.

im using this linux live to software to basically download and boot from a 4gb sd card. Im hung up on two different versions xubuntu freezes displaying (when i try an actual install)

" P link was shutdown...universe"

when i tried live mode it flickers between the blue startup screen and the command checklist. I feel like its a video card issue?

im trying a whole different version fedora i686 21.5

Edit ---------------------
Using x64 I get a chip set error while installing. I've downloaded the newest bios onto the SD card. Using "q flash" I try to install from a disk and it's asking me to run one of three files

auto exec. Bat
efiflash.exe
Z97xsocf.f7

Which do I choose ? Never flashed a bios and there's almost no info on the Google ? The website isn't much help either. There's not much info on this board at all sort of regretted getting it now lol

Regards
eddy

Last edited:
When I was running my GTX 970 under windows 7 it got a lot of Core 15 WUs which produced about one third the PPD (80k PPD) of a Core 17 WU or core 18 WU (250k PPD). So it produced an average of about 150K PPD under Windows 7.

However, running it with Ubuntu it never gets core 15 WUs so produces 325k to 330k PPD.

Back