• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Micro X8DTH-iF WS build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Super Micro X8DTH-iF is working fine as are the processors and REG ECC memory (channel 1 at least).

I got everything on Ebay for less than $300 :thup:

Here are a few pictures until I get down to the build now that the hardware tested good.

Super Micro X8DTH-iF Motherboard.jpg

Super Micro X8DTH-iF BIOS Screen.jpg

Super Micro X8DTH-iF Testing.jpg

My goal was to get a dual socket system that I could get started on a shoe string budget <$300. Once I have a working system, I can slowly upgrade it at my leisure. That's how I built my Asus Commando system. Got a dirt cheap motherboard that took the new C2D processors and also took my old DDR memory and AGP card. So eventually once I got a PCIe card and DDR2 memory on that board I was ready to transplant all that new tech over to the Asua Commando motherboard. Then I eventually got the bux for a C2Q and more memory sticks, etc.

I've always preferred multiple socket server/workstation boards over single socket boards. My first real computer was a dual socket Pentium Pro 200 Micron Millennium. I couldn't afford both processors so I ordered it with only one. I got the 2nd processor a few years later at a much reduced price. $50 used vs $600 new. Also upgraded the original 32MB of ECC memory to the maximum of 128MB a few years later for a lot less. That original semi crippled machine cost me over $3k new. I still have it lol. I then upgraded to AMD as they were beating Intel at that time and for a lot better price. Then the pendulum swung back over to Intel again with the netburst architecture. So I got anther dual socket Xeon board that could be overclocked like mad. Iwill DH800 was an amazing board and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Now I'm on to an older dual socket system that beats my even older LGA 775 by 4:1 yet only gets beat by 50% from the latest dual socket 2011v3 system of comparable processors.

Wife's been complaining about the heat those two HD 7870s have been kicking off. Think I'm going to have to consider one cooler card to replace them with. We all know what card that would be ;)

Wife's been complaining about the heat those two HD 7870s have been kicking off. Think I'm going to have to consider one cooler card to replace them with. We all know what card that would be ;)

5850? 750ti? I dunno... :p

There's a deal on the 970's in the newegg sales thread. like $4xx or $3xx IIRC?
Why don't you just move the rig to the basement?

No basement or garage lol.

You already know what card kicks out twice the PPD of the two cards I have put together with 1/4 the heat.

I'll get one, install Linux and sneak another card in later when it gets cold again this fall lol. She'll appreciate the extra warmth then. ;)

BTW I have an onboard VGA chip that will serve me well for the desktop so I don't waste any cycles of any GPU_FAH cards. I'll run them headless as I've noticed that of the two cards I have folding now, only the one doing dual duty FAH/desktop crashes.

Last edited:
No basement or garage lol.

You already know what card kicks out twice the PPD of the two cards I have put together with 1/4 the heat.

I'll get one, install Linux and sneak another card in later when it gets cold again this fall lol. She'll appreciate the extra warmth then. ;)

BTW I have an onboard VGA chip that will serve me well for the desktop so I don't waste any cycles of any GPU_FAH cards. I'll run them headless as I've noticed that of the two cards I have folding now, only the one doing dual duty FAH/desktop crashes.

I wish my AMD rig had that.
But that's what my craptastic 3570K is for ;)

At this point, all I need are GPU's for another folding rig :)

So what's the PPD with the 7870's?
Probably comparable to the 270x and 7850 I have, about 180K PPD.

Look at my FAH stats link and that's what I'm getting for just 2 cards. That's all I have going for now. Not too shabby for free hardware :D

Got the rest of the memory in. Now it's up to 24GB. :clap:
I'm trying to migrate the Win7 operating system for my LGA 775 system to another disk and have it bootable. Once I've done that I can pull it out of my tower case to make room for this server board. I'm keeping the two mirrored data sets with this board. I don't know how they'll respond in another system that also supports Intel RAID. Don't need the Matrix RAID0 Win7 partition and I'll fold it back into the RAID1 partion. Would have been nice to have an SSD to install the OS on, but didn't have anything left to acquire one. So I'll just use a spare spinner I have. :shrug:

Got my Asus Commando system transplanted to a smaller case. It's some mid tower ATX I picked up several years ago for my initial C2D build. It's made by Ultra, is black and looks good. What more did I need? :rofl: Since I won't be stressing that system anymore with FAH, the case air flow is more than adequate. Eventually I'm going to try making it into a FreeNAS server as it meets minimum specs. For now it's still my main PC until I get the SM up.

Won't get my SM set up this weekend until I can get 3 tall stand offs :( I'm putting it into my full tower CM 810. Plenty of room in that case. Lots of dust too (cough cough).

I'm here clapping with only one hand lol.

I don't want to reinstall windows and all my apps all over again on the newer system. What to do?

Clone the Windows 7 partition again onto another hard drive, get it to boot, then run sysprep on it and put it into the newer system and boot up and finish updating system hardware drivers. The original hard drive is the backup. Heck I'm posting this on a cloned Windows 7 partition. This is so much easier than a totally fresh install.

You'll probably waste more time cloning and getting it to boot than a fresh install would take....

That said, sysprep keep your programs but wipes your settings?
Hmm. Something I didn't know.

It would take weeks to get things back to where I had them tweaked. Sysprep is a pretty cool utility Microsoft built into Windows 7 on. I only recently heard about it.

Yeah I fold on windows, but that isn't the issue for me. I've got office, CS2, and a ton of other apps installed and customized. Don't want to relive that trauma. I don't have an FAH farm. I fold on my personal computer.

It would take weeks to get things back to where I had them tweaked. Sysprep is a pretty cool utility Microsoft built into Windows 7 on. I only recently heard about it.

FYI sysprep existed with XP as well (probably before that as well, but XP is when I started using it at work), but was a separate executable you had to pull from a disk and wasn't directly built into the OS.

It's been built in since Win7. Makes it a lot easier to port to other systems that aren't identical.

Yeah I fold on windows, but that isn't the issue for me. I've got office, CS2, and a ton of other apps installed and customized. Don't want to relive that trauma. I don't have an FAH farm. I fold on my personal computer.

Ahh same here. I know the pain.
I wish I used sysprep before I switched to AMD. I'm still​ installing programs :-/

Back