• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Micro X8DTH-iF WS build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried 3 spare drives I found laying around in their antistatic bags. All 3 were dead and froze the POST screen. I managed to get one into setup and it was recognized once, but after that nada. So I'll hook it all up inside the case and play with the latest Knoppix live DVD to see it work and run some diagnostics (except hard drives) lol.

Now I need an OS hard drive. SSD should do it.

SATA drives?

If so just enable hot swapping for the ports and boot up Knoppix, then plug in the drives to run some diagnostics on them.

I found one POS 80GB SATA drive that has smart warning about 5 reallocated sectors/imminent failure. I'm cloning to it anyway. If it lasts for a week or two more, I'll be OK with that. This will be a dry run so to speak on the process to get a preinstalled bootable Win7 OS on this system. Only problem is it's taking 4 hrs to clone it. I'm guessing EaseUS is taking its time making sure it only writes to good sectors. That's a good thing. It cloned two good drives earlier in only 13 minutes.

When I get a much better SSD things should go much smoother.

4 Hours?

I think you'll be lucky to even boot with that drive :(
Sounds like it's having a hard time writing to the disk.

Either way, hope this dry run works out!!!

Stick a fork in it, it's done :(

Came home and it's still only a third done after 3 hours. Windows also threw a GUI flag up saying to immediately back up the data on that bad disk.

Need a new/good used SSD asap. Wallet says "NO!"

Well on a positive note: I get to make some nice wind-chimes out of all the platters from 4 bad drives :rofl:

Mmmmm the soothing sound of wind chimes... :)

On the bright side, our favorite V300 Kingston SSD is almost always on sale :p
It'll do in a pinch.

Short list: Sandisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 or the V300.
I don't know if the Sandisk SSD plus is better... Same price too though!

For a server folding all it's life, I see no reason to ignore the V300.
Sure they pulled a **** move but hey, it's an SSD not an afterburner on a jet. ;)

What **** move?
Switch NAND silently. The new NAND they use is wayy slower than what it used to be.

Many people bought V300's cause they were fast and cheap, and what they got were slower SSD's for the same price as the older, much faster ones.

Still beats the snot out of an old spinner :)

Success! I'm posting this from my newest Super computer. Sill have some more work under the hood, but windows is activated and intact with all my programs and settings. Sysprep :rock:

Since this board was designed to be in a wind tunnel like server case, the surface power components and NB chip sets run very hot. My IR thermometer showed the NB heat sink fins were at 180F under no load conditions. Memory was running 150F. So I'll have to get a big case fan blowing down on the board to keep it from burning up. People have had server boards burn up hot components and fail in regular cases.

I've got another 200mm case fan on order to mount in my left side panel so it can blow directly on the server board. Table fan is only temporary until I get the real deal installed.

On another note: The syspreped Windows installation was working like a champ until I tried that 'tried and true' registry edit to make it into a RAID enabled installation. Well I was warned that sysprep breaks RAID and it does. The registry Dword isn't the only thing it changes and the installation didn't even give me a BSoD, it just would reset the computer as it first started to load.

Any way I just went with a new installation with Intel RAID enabled in the BIOS to git'r done. I'll play around with sysprep another time to figure out a workaround for the RAID breakage issue.

:escape: breaks RAID eh?
Jeeze that's good to know. Wonder whatelse it changes...

IIRC there's a way to slip in drivers for RAID.. I forget if it's with Macrium reflect or Windows recovery..

Another mistake I made was not making a system restore point before I played around with the registry. Dumb move on my part :rolleyes:

That Matrox on board graphics chip sux on the desktop. Only has 12MB VRAM. Maybe I can configure it to share system RAM to boost it to give me all the eye candy Win7 affords.

Back