• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking A Monitor At Lower Resolutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgilbert

Registered
I have a Samsung UD590 UHD monitor. The native resolution is 3840 X 2160 at 60 Hz. I typically game at 2560 X 1440, and just discovered that I can create that resolution at 85 Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel. If I switch my desktop to that resolution, games like Crysis 3 will then run at 2560 X 1440 at 85 Hz.

I'm getting no glitches or artifacts at 2560 X 1440 at 85 Hz. Considering the fact that I'm running the monitor at a lower resolution than its native resolution, do you think the higher refresh rate might damage the monitor over time?

I can't imagine the downscaling looks good personally...

Do you have a GPU setup that can run Crysis 3 at over 60Hz anyway?

If the monitor supports it, that frequency should run just fine.

I can't imagine the downscaling looks good personally...

Do you have a GPU setup that can run Crysis 3 at over 60Hz anyway?

If the monitor supports it, that frequency should run just fine.

The downscaling looks just fine in games, and I don't have a choice. My video card can't keep up in modern games at 3840 X 2160. I have to run games at a lower resolution.

I have an EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, overclocked. It will run Crysis 3 at 60 Hz and up on medium to high settings, at 2560 X 1440. I run with some settings on high, and others on very high, and the frame rate runs between 40 and 85 Hz.

The monitor does not officially support anything over 60 Hz. I have to create a custom resolution of 2560 X 1440 at 85 Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel to get it to run that resolution, at that refresh rate. Nothing above 60 Hz is "built in" to the monitor. 2560 X 1440 at 85 Hz is not a resolution supported in the EDID table.

Back