• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turn PC on and off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliox

Registered
hi guys, i need some help with something:

i have 2 friend that are buging me because the way i use my pc, you see i never leave my PC on when i am not using it unless i am downloading something big, i always turn it off and unplug it, but these is done like 4-5 time a day when i return form work i turn it on then off when i go to sleep, then when i wake up before work i turn it on again(for like 1 hour) then off when i goo, and i thinck my mon uses it like 2 to 3 times in the day to play some card games on it(i dond have a problem with that).

the way i turn it of is: normal shutdown on windows and when is all off and just the MOBO light on(yea my mobo has some light that even with all of they are on as long the pc is pluged in, is the maximus vii hero), then i turn of the UPS and unplug all( but i dont turn off the switch on the PSU i live it in on position).

so what i want to know is if all these does damage to my pc?

thanks in advance.

I just don't see any reason to go through the process of unplugging, especially if you have everything running through a UPS. Just turn off the computer from Windows or put it to sleep (the power draw while sleeping is practically nothing).

What you are doing is overkill, unplugging everything. The UPS is there to protect you, there is no sense to unplug that or the wall. Just shut the PC off or put it to sleep and let the UPS do (one of) its thing(s), just as Janus said.

i unplug the ups because the electricity were i live is like a roller coaster goes up and down all the time is very unstable, so i do it to give the ups a break.

Are you hurting anything? No.
Should you let the equipment you bought do what it's designed for? Yes.

depending on what ups you have, it might have things to do, it might be able to maintain the batterys, it has to be plugged in to do this.
wall sockests are ment to have the plugs stay in them, leave them plugged in and make them happy.
shutting the rig down is a good thing, saves us money, lets the updates that can only install while shutting down install, does no harm what so ever, like turning a light off when you leave a room.

Back