• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding a user in Ubuntu 12.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It might also be worth mentioning to check password policies. Perhaps the password your specified doesn't meet the policy and Ubuntu has a less than graceful way of dealing with it.

Finally I have found the answer.....

instead of "adduser" use "newuser"

Ubuntu will automatically set up the files for the "newuser" but Ubuntu will assume you are going to setup the files if you use "adduser".

Of course, now why didn't I think of that? It is so obvious that Ubuntu didn't bother to tell anyone. I mean why should they tell the users,
its not like you might actually want to use Ubuntu for anything serious !! ARGGGHHHHH......

EDIT

Did I say ARGGGHHHHH......

Last edited:
wow, dedication, two years
I usually give up after a few months

For 2 years I had to allow people to use my personal account because I was unable to make individual accounts for each of them. Fortunately they didn't know they had access to more than they were seeing, but I was on the lookout for a solution to this problem. When I upgraded to U16.04 I had the same problem. By chance I ran across the solution when looking to fix another problem in Ubuntu. So I wasn't dedicated, I was just desperate.

Back